[ANN] Metacello - 0.7 alpha

Dale Henrichs

Jul 6, 2009, 12:14:40 AM7/6/09
to montice...@googlegroups.com
To get version 0.7:

1. Load Metacello-All-dkh.5 from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello (loads
Metacello-Core, Metacello-MC, MetacelloProject and OB-Metacello - note that
Metacello-All needs to have OB loaded.
2. Execute the following expression in a workspace:

(MetacelloMetacelloProject version: '0.7') load

OR find the class MetacelloMetacelloProject in an OB class/project browser and
click on the '2. Load Project' menu item for the class and select 0.7 from the
list. the '1. Update Project' menu item can be used to load the latest version
of the Metacello-MetacalloProject package.
3. Delete the Metacello-All package.

Highlights of version 0.7:

- built a GLASS repository from scratch ... started with fileIns to get
MczInstaller installed in a virgin repository, used MczInstaller to load
Monticello/Metacello, then used Metacello to load the rest of glass (83
packages spread across 14 Metacello project).
- To look at the glass project definitions execute the following (after loading
Metacello) - the project definitions for GLASS can be loaded into a
Squeak/Pharo image:

(MetacelloMCProject instance packageSpec
file: 'GemStone-MetacelloProject-dkh.62';
repositoryName: 'http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/GLASSproject';
yourself) load

- added #add:project: methods so that other projects can be explicitly loaded
just like packages - similar to nested packages with required packages, but more
flexible
- added some OBCommands for managing a Metacello project
- to see a description of the other changes execute the following:

(MetacelloMetacelloProject version: '0.7') versionSpec description

I still need to update the tutorial to reflect the removal of baselines (still need to remove baselines) and the new features, but since I was able to use 0.7 to load GLASS, I've made enough changes to warrant a new version. There's an awful lot working to load GLASS - if you look at the project definitions for GLASS, you'll see quite a few dependencies defined.

I will be doing more work with GLASS/Metacello - I need to be able to support slightly different package versions for GemStone2.4 and GemStone3.0. I also need to verify the package structure when loading only subsets of the full GLASS.

I plan to drop a new version once I've updated the tutorial.

Dale

stephane ducasse

Jul 6, 2009, 4:53:21 AM7/6/09
to montice...@googlegroups.com
Dale

time is flying I hope to get some time next week to have a look at
what you are doing.
This is so important.

stef

> To get version 0.7:
>
> 1. Load Metacello-All-dkh.5 from http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/metacello
> (loads
> Metacello-Core, Metacello-MC, MetacelloProject and OB-Metacello
> - note that
> Metacello-All needs to have OB loaded.
> 2. Execute the following expression in a workspace:
>
> (MetacelloMetacelloProject version: '0.7') load
>
> OR find the class MetacelloMetacelloProject in an OB class/
> project browser and
> click on the '2. Load Project' menu item for the class and
> select 0.7 from the
> list. the '1. Update Project' menu item can be used to load the
> latest version
> of the Metacello-MetacalloProject package.
> 3. Delete the Metacello-All package.
>
> Highlights of version 0.7:
>
> - built a GLASS repository from scratch ... started with fileIns to
> get
> MczInstaller installed in a virgin repository, used MczInstaller
> to load
> Monticello/Metacello, then used Metacello to load the rest of
> glass (83
> packages spread across 14 Metacello project).

This is cool

Bergel, Alexandre

Jul 6, 2009, 6:01:34 AM7/6/09
to montice...@googlegroups.com
Dear Dale,

I have also been quite busy these days. I promise to try your new
version soon.
As Stef said, your work is very important.

Regards,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu

Dale Henrichs

Jul 6, 2009, 11:02:18 AM7/6/09
to montice...@googlegroups.com, ber...@iam.unibe.ch, stephane...@gmail.com
Stef, Alexandre,

I understand how it goes ... I've been neglecting a few other areas to focus on Metacello. I'll try to get the tutorial updated to cover the new features, since I found them critical to getting the GLASS project defined in a reasonable way.

Dale