Metacello - a couple more notes

Dale Henrichs

May 29, 2009, 1:16:03 PM5/29/09
to montice...@googlegroups.com
I'm poised to take on the big re-write of Metacello. I've gotten some very good feedback and appreciate the chance to think 'out loud.'

I'm just going to mention a few more things before I go dark during the rewrite. If you are late in reading through the posts, don't hesitate to send feedback - I'd rather get late feedback than not hear about a good idea or a good criticism.

I'm going to rename MetacelloVersionMap to MetacelloProject. There will be a MetacelloMCProject. You will create a Metacello project for your project (by subclassing MetacelloMCProject) to manage the packages and dependencies for your Monticello project. For MC2 projects there will be a MetacelloMC2Project, which will be subclassed.

I think that it will be worthwhile providing a couple of OBCommands (ala SUnit) that will be used for developing/maintaining the definitions in a project:

- creating new versions
- adding prerequisites for projects
- defining groups

as well as for loading/unloading/updating the project code.

Dale

Bergel, Alexandre

May 29, 2009, 8:43:43 PM5/29/09
to montice...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dale,

> I'm going to rename MetacelloVersionMap to MetacelloProject. There
> will be a MetacelloMCProject. You will create a Metacello project
> for your project (by subclassing MetacelloMCProject) to manage the
> packages and dependencies for your Monticello project. For MC2
> projects there will be a MetacelloMC2Project, which will be
> subclassed.

This is an excellent news!

> I think that it will be worthwhile providing a couple of OBCommands
> (ala SUnit) that will be used for developing/maintaining the
> definitions in a project:
>
> - creating new versions
> - adding prerequisites for projects
> - defining groups
>
> as well as for loading/unloading/updating the project code.

I can help on this.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel http://www.bergel.eu

Dale Henrichs

Jun 1, 2009, 8:03:23 PM6/1/09

----- "Alexandre Bergel" <ber...@iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

| Hi Dale,
|
| > I'm going to rename MetacelloVersionMap to MetacelloProject. There
|
| > will be a MetacelloMCProject. You will create a Metacello project
| > for your project (by subclassing MetacelloMCProject) to manage the
|
| > packages and dependencies for your Monticello project. For MC2
| > projects there will be a MetacelloMC2Project, which will be
| > subclassed.
|
| This is an excellent news!
|

| > I think that it will be worthwhile providing a couple of OBCommands
|
| > (ala SUnit) that will be used for developing/maintaining the
| > definitions in a project:
| >
| > - creating new versions
| > - adding prerequisites for projects
| > - defining groups
| >
| > as well as for loading/unloading/updating the project code.
|
| I can help on this.

Cool when I get to the point where Metcallo is up and running again, I'd appreciate your help.

Dale