National Montford Point Marine Association, Inc., 49th National Convention

Gilbert Taylor

Jul 3, 2014, 9:05:57 PM7/3/14
to montford-...@googlegroups.com

National Montford Point Marine Association, Inc., 49th National Convention

THEME:  “Paying It Forward:  Educating, Commemorating, and Rededicating our Efforts to Preserve the Legacy

Members, Friends, and Supporters:

I would like to cordially invite each of you to attend the National Montford Point Marine Association, Inc.,  49th National Convention. We will gather to honor our heroes and their storied lineage in New Orleans, Louisiana from 16-20 July 2014. This commemoration will honor the Montford Point Marines, while ensuring the preservation of their legacy. In doing so, we will celebrate the future of the National Montford Point Marine Association and the role we will continue to play in ensuring the success of our Members, Veterans, Corps, and Country.

Convention Highlights:

NMPMA, National Standing Committee Chairman, Mr. Forest Spencer is poised to fire the base as the Guest Speaker at the President’s Reception. A special Salute to the Montford Point Marines will inspire attendees and remind all of the Montford Point heroes. A special rededication will be presented in honor of the 400 plus Montford Point Marines in attendance at the first reunion in 1965. This event honors all MPMA Presidents for their daily sacrifices, dedication, and commitment to preserve the legacy of our trailblazers. This is an opportunity for me to simply say “thank you” for your tireless efforts. Chapters Presidents and Regional Vice Presidents are encouraged to attend.

We are pleased to welcome famed warrior, tacticians, MPMA Life Members, and loyal supporters, LtGen Ronald L. Bailey, Deputy Commandant, Plans, Policies, and Operations. LtGen Bailey is the senior African American Marine on active duty and will deliver the message as our Guest of Honor at the Formal Dinner and Award Banquet. He will also be in attendance and participating in the Professional Military Education (PME) Seminars, a platform staged to mentor and share experiences as a Marine Officer walking in the footsteps of giants, The Montford Point Marines.

I am truly elated to continue the implementation of the Montford Point Marine Professional Military Education Seminar. The following individuals are committed to this project and dedicated to its success. The designated speakers are:

Ø  LtGen Ronald L. Bailey:  State of the Marine Corps

Ø  Col Robert C. Clements:  National President, National Naval Officers Association (NNOA), Head Promotion Branch

Ø  Dr. Kenneth D. Dunn (Col Ret):  Marine Corps Leadership Seminar

Ø  MSgt Mark McArthur:  Marine Corps Recruiting Initiatives

Ø  Mrs. Carmen Cole (CWO3 Ret):  Marine Corps Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC)

Ø  Mrs. Alfreda Carmichael: Grant Writing

Ø  Dr. Joann Ginyard- Haywood: Conflict Resolution

Ø  Maj. Jarvis Stephen: Marine Corps Diversity Initiative

Ø  Mr. Eric Lindsay (LtCol Ret): Marine Corps Marketing

Ø  Mr. Melvin Chestnut (SgtMaj Ret):  History of MPMA

Ø  Montford Point Marines, Roundtable Discussion, Open Forum:  Facilitated by Major Jarvis Stephens

Ø  SNCO’s and Officer Leadership Panel: Facilitated by Major Jarvis Stephens

The 49th National Convention holds great opportunities for everyone to meet the Montford Point Marines and fellowship with one another, while participating and supporting the 6th Annual Presidential Golf Tournament; President’s Reception; Ladies Auxiliary Black & White Extravaganza/National Queen’s Coronation; and the Host Chapter’s event to include live entertainment. I encourage you to support all events provided for your enjoyment!

Special Guest, 2012 NMPMA Hall of Fame recipients, Honorable Congresswoman, Corrine Brown (D-FL) and former Florida State Senator, Mr. Tony Hill will make a guest appearance.

Please make your reservations for air and hotel accommodations to attend these special events, if you have not already done so. Please contact NMPMA, Deputy Convention Director, Mr. Ronald Johnson at (504) 270-5426,  if you are having a problem with making reservations or lodging concerns. Please make checks payable to: NMPMA National Convention. Please mail payment and registration packages to NMPMA National Convention, P.O. Box 6103, New Orleans, LA  70174.

Please visit the Montford Point Marine, National website for more information on the 49th National Convention at montfordpointmarines.org, and click the convention information tab to view the following:

-       Agenda

-       PME schedule

-       Golf Tournament

-       Hotel information

-       Guest of Honor Biography

-       Registration package

-       General Information

Please forward this email to all interested parties. I look forward to seeing each of you at this year’s National Convention to educate, commemorate, and rededicate our efforts in preserving the legacy of the Montford Point Marines.

Respectfully,

Dr. James T. Averhart, Jr.
National President
National Montford Point Marine Association, Inc. (NMPMA, Inc.)