Quaternion Implementation

ncallaway

Dec 7, 2007, 11:06:11 PM12/7/07
to MonoXna
Hello all,

I've been playing around with the XNA framework for a little while
now. I haven't done anything serious. It got me looking at cross
platform frameworks (such as the Tao Framework). I'm really interested
in Mono.XNA.

I am at the University of Washington, and coming up on my winter
break. I want to do something productive over this time, and thought I
could contribute something to the project. At the same time, I've been
interested in learning more about the mysterious quaternions. And I
noticed the quaternion code in the SVN repo mostly throws not
implemented exceptions.

I was thinking I could implement Quaternion.cs (as many methods as I
can manage during the break), and write some more NUnit tests for the
project. I think this would be a good way to get my feet wet with the
open source community while contributing something (somewhat)
meaningful to a real project.

Let me know if this sounds reasonable. I'd be willing to contribute to
other parts of this project as well, though I'm having some difficulty
finding a well maintained to-do list, so I'm not really sure where to
apply my effort.

-Noah Callaway

Gorm Lai

Jan 4, 2008, 6:45:13 AM1/4/08
to MonoXna, g...@threelivesleft.com
Hi all,

Was there any work done on this so far? It seems the code still has
the not implemented exception.

My interest in this, is that I am the co-owner of an indie sized, but
very commercial game company.
We are all open source fans, but also admit the greatness C#, .Net and
XNA.

Our current game, mostly compiles with mono.xna, except for some
issues with matrices, quaternions and input. I haven't tried the
contet processors, so I don't know how far you are with this?
This project does not seem to have had much activity lately. Is it
still ongoing, and is there a new milestone plan, etc, somewhere?

Good work, so far guys!,

Cheers,
Gorm

Gorm Lai

Jan 4, 2008, 11:40:19 AM1/4/08
to MonoXna
Just to elaborate, if we see that this project is going somewhere,
which it was, in the long run our company would actually be able to
support it with time as our engineers would expand it as needed..
However, first we need to be sure that the project has a future.
> > -Noah Callaway- Hide quoted text -

Stuart Carnie

Jan 8, 2008, 3:48:28 PM1/8/08
to MonoXna
We're certainly still around. I monitor this group as do many
others. Several of the members have had a lot of other things going
on the past months. I've invested in a number of OpenGL books to
continue working on this project; however, spare time has been limited
lately :)

Cheers,

Stu

Alan McGovern

Jan 8, 2008, 4:43:49 PM1/8/08
to mon...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Well, one of the questions you have you'd have to ask yourself is:
"Will having the XNA framework running on OpenGL benefit me enough to dedicate having someone spend a few hours a day/week hacking on it to implement more features".

If the answer is yes, then getting an active dev on the project would be a good thing. If the answer is no, then i suppose just hang around and wait for more people to pick up the project and get it going. I'm in my final year of college, so things are looking pretty busy for me. I am around for questions and answers though if you want to ask me about what's been done and what needs to be done and possible limitations and all that.

Alan.

On Jan 4, 12:45pm, Gorm Lai <gorm....@threelivesleft.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Was there any work done on this so far? It seems the code still has
> the not implemented exception.
>
> My interest in this, is that I am the co-owner of an indie sized, but
> very commercial game company.
> We are all open source fans, but also admit the greatness C#, .Net and
> XNA.
>
> Our current game, mostly compiles with mono.xna, except for some
> issues with matrices, quaternions and input. I haven't tried the
> contet processors, so I don't know how far you are with this?
> This project does not seem to have had much activity lately. Is it
> still ongoing, and is there a new milestone plan, etc, somewhere?
>
> Good work, so far guys!,
>
> Cheers,
> Gorm
>
> On Dec 8 2007, 5:06am, ncallaway <ncalla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hello all,
>
> > I've been playing around with the XNA framework for a little while
> > now. I haven't done anything serious. It got me looking at cross
> > platform frameworks (such as the Tao Framework). I'm really interested
> > in Mono.XNA.
>
> > I am at the University of Washington, and coming up on my winter
> > break. I want to do something productive over this time, and thought I
> > could contribute something to the project. At the same time, I've been
> > interested in learning more about the mysterious quaternions. And I
> > noticed the quaternion code in the SVN repo mostly throws not
> > implemented exceptions.
>
> > I was thinking I could implement Quaternion.cs (as many methods as I
> > can manage during the break), and write some more NUnit tests for the
> > project. I think this would be a good way to get my feet wet with the
> > open source community while contributing something (somewhat)
> > meaningful to a real project.
>
> > Let me know if this sounds reasonable. I'd be willing to contribute to
> > other parts of this project as well, though I'm having some difficulty
> > finding a well maintained to-do list, so I'm not really sure where to
> > apply my effort.

Kamujin

Jan 8, 2008, 10:56:34 PM1/8/08
to MonoXna
I've been lurking around here for a while myself.

Every few months, I do a search to find some usable engine for cross
platform C# 3D graphics development.
I've done a good amount of work with XNA under Vista and I am very
impressed with its performance.
It seems like there are a number of mono based projects, but they are
all starved for developer time.
Axiom seems the furthest along, but its really only Borrilis doing all
of the work.

I think it would make sense to try to consolidate what little support
there is for the mono C# engine idea to a single project.