Projects, ADHD, Questions, Answers, Links, Funny Cars

just john

Feb 18, 2012, 3:09:06 PM2/18/12
to le Monohedron del Goog
My ambition is to set up a common area that helps weirdos of many
different stripes (and plaids) get together to produce and release
stuff.

And many of these weirdos have ADHD or other mood swings. For me, I'd
say it's also classic manic depressive bipolarity. In years gone by,
we'd be noted for abandoned heaps around the home, like the time we
got enthused about oil painting or crochet or wood working. But today
when things are digital, for anybody who is good about keeping
backups, projects don't rot. So we can pick up where we left off,
even if it's years later. For instance, the one thing I have on
YouTube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLwdmppFX4 ) was something
like eight years in the making. Lots of fits and starts and waiting
for computers powerful enough to render ...

Anyway, the ambition is that the common area lets mood swing-y people
collaborate despite not being on exactly the same point of their
cycles at the same time. If the rate of messages stays low enough
here, people can drop out and come back later and take up where they
left off.

Norel's idea about us helping each other clear our backlogs is pretty
spiffy. For the moment, I'll say that my backlog is largely this
venue itself and its brethren. ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/monohedral_cathedral/
, http://monohedron.tumblr.com/ ) Traffic and conversation here
triggers my I-got-something-done satisfaction point, especially if it
helps the congregation.

So, Heart Ignition, Norel, and any others, what's your backlog like?
The Spanky Poppagasket page makes me think we should go find some
narrator (and narration) for over some of his electronics.

On the cover album front, it would be fun to release one that was
actually properly licensed. I figure somebody will show up who has
ideas on how that's done.

(One member who seems to have a good handle on work flow is Outa
Spaceman: http://outaspaceman.blogspot.com/ Besides his recent
ukulele stuff, he's done ambient electronic and pop-ish electronic
music, as well as all that physical stuff. I'm very jealous.)

Rev. norelpref

Feb 19, 2012, 10:01:12 AM2/19/12
to le Monohedron del Goog
My backlog is considerable. My plan right now is to finish FAWM.
Once that is done, I'm going to put all the samples and files etc.,
from that project up for remixing purposes. I am also going to upload
all my "in the can" folders and people can have at them. Depending
upon how ambitious and productive we get I may upload all the threads
for projects I've completed in the past for repurposing.

I can use Google Docs, my own server or some other means of organizing
and sharing the work. Any ideas in this regard? What web-based
platform are people most comfortable with? I pretty much have carte
blanche control over a few servers, all of which are Linux-based,
supporting MySQL, PHP, etc.

Spanky Poppagasket

Feb 19, 2012, 10:29:54 AM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
My girlfriend of 7 years has ADHD.  It is very frustrating for both of us.  She means well and starts a billion projects around the house and I get frustrated because I have to clean them all up.  If I don't they'll just sit there and more half finished projects will show up.  She is also really detail oriented when it comes to what she wants to do and often takes on more work than she should if she wants to finish.  I'm more into whipping it out so I can go back to something more enjoyable.  As far as backlog, I'm wide open.  Easy livin'.   Monohedral cathedral looks keen, it's weird to me how you all are doing things together and with others...  not used to community, microcosm, this is pretty cool.

Server?  Not sure what the best option out there is- There's probably some web service I don't know about that's the best.  I am a full time Linux user other than to compose/produce in WindowsXP.  I am comfortable ssh'ing or telneting into something, hell, even gopher.  Not much help though with apache, mysql, php, java- but I know html and bash scripts.  I'm looking forward to getting down to working on stuff.

just john

Feb 19, 2012, 12:36:32 PM2/19/12
to le Monohedron del Goog

On Feb 19, 10:29 am, Spanky Poppagasket <cardiacfla...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Thanks about the Monohedral Cathedral. By the way, you all are
definitely welcome there, too. Officially, everybody everywhere's
already a member, whether they or the group itself knows it. As
TrademarkG of the Evolution Control Committee put it, "One side fits
all!"

Yahoo Groups still allow file uploads and links and other spiffy stuff
that Google Groups USED to offer.

As to where to upload files, have you heard of SoundCloud? You can
set up a free account and upload stuff right away. It allows you to
define things as work-in-progress, for instance. Outa Spaceman and
Two Beans have stuff there, too, and I think Norel did, before his
most recent crash.

And of course, there's a group there: http://soundcloud.com/groups/the-monohedron-sound-cloud

Hey, for Linux, have you checked out TerminatorX? I mean the
turntable simulator, not the Public Enemy dj. I've only run it on
some pretty weak hardware, so I've never gotten the MIDI controller
mapping to work.

Spanky Poppagasket

Feb 19, 2012, 1:02:03 PM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
For me it's a lot to absorb, but I will come around to these things.  Haven't tried terminatorx and pretty much resolved not to make anything too polished with linux.  You can use vsti in audacity, but it's hit or miss, at least on my hardware.  Sorta like the gaming and professional image categories.  Both those are pretty much Windowstown with no real way out for Linux.  Total shame because Linux is by far better.  It was worth the initial hair-pulling.  Like the church of the subgenius it opens doors, but there's just some things it won't do for you.

Norel Pref

Feb 19, 2012, 1:41:15 PM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
Here are my thoughts.

For file management (with plenty of disc space), collaboration and development I recommend Google Docs.  I presently have an account with 20GB - I'm going to increase it to 100GB shortly.  This would allow us to not worry too much about file sizes and what not.  This also allows us to create any kind of document (for scripts, lyrics, manifestos and so on).

Recommend finished media projects be published to the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org) unless other means of distribution (including *gasp* commercial) are chosen for any given project.

A blog oriented website might be nice for some modicum of promotion and communication with other mutants, as well as posting links to finished or in work projects.

Just some thawts.

Johnny Lemuria

Feb 19, 2012, 3:17:05 PM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
I'm actually deliberately not concentrating on my backlog right now, because I'm in the middle of a project with a lot of a cool locals, Voltara the Demonslayer. I have all sorts of ideas bubbling under the surface, but if I give them any attention, I'll be led off the path of finishing this friggin' thing.

Norel Pref

Feb 19, 2012, 3:59:26 PM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
I shouldn't think that the collab initiative would be backlog only.  Backlog and frontlog.  and captain's log.

just john

Feb 19, 2012, 6:15:33 PM2/19/12
to le Monohedron del Goog
And natural AND unnatural logs!

On Feb 19, 3:59 pm, Norel Pref <norelp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I shouldn't think that the collab initiative would be backlog only.
> Backlog and frontlog.  and captain's log.
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Johnny Lemuria <johnnylemu...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > I'm actually deliberately not concentrating on my backlog right now,
> > because I'm in the middle of a project with a lot of a cool locals,Voltara the Demonslayer<https://www.facebook.com/voltara>.

just john

Feb 19, 2012, 6:25:24 PM2/19/12
to le Monohedron del Goog

On Feb 19, 3:17 pm, Johnny Lemuria <johnnylemu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm actually deliberately not concentrating on my backlog right now,
> because I'm in the middle of a project with a lot of a cool locals, Voltara
> the Demonslayer <https://www.facebook.com/voltara>.

Unfortunately (for whom, I dunno) I avoid Facebook completely, so I
can only imagine ...

However, it sounds like you might be in the market for some oooo-
weeeeeee-oooo style 'lectronic sounds ....

Here a min, theremin, everywhere a min min

Spanky Poppagasket

Feb 19, 2012, 8:23:22 PM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
No log- ^ All Sounds good.  You maybe right on facebook, I only just started using it to reconnect, but something about using it seems unchurchly.  I may abandon it.  Definitely some theremin, haha.  All those BBC radiophonic peoples were Gods.  Not sure if you are into the same things, but if you haven't heard Delia Derbyshire then check out www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetzY-W78gg -- I have a super huge crush- if only I had a TARDIS.

Norel Pref

Feb 19, 2012, 8:33:41 PM2/19/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
fuck all you Fbook haters.  If it's good enough for Sister Decadence, it's good enough for me!  hee hee.

Outa_Spaceman Being: 52

Feb 20, 2012, 3:58:17 PM2/20/12
to le Monohedron del Goog
Ahoy!

I've just been shaken from the edge of lethargy by a timely comment on
my blog from JJ.
Even though I was having a bit of whine yesterday the output continues
apace.
Just put out my band's new Ep, whipping the band into shape for the
gigs to promote it and halfway though recording the next Ep.
Recording a selection of songs for Frank Key's Hooting Yard site, and
publishing his pod-casts.
Recording a solo female Country artist.
Recording a Jazz duo's demo.
Recording my own "Cheeky Chappie" Ukulele album in the hope of getting
some Mom & Pop type gigs.
I'm about to do the master mix for my BigMetalTower ambient project.

There's also lots of model making, bicycle building and animation
projects on the go.

On top of all that I have to find some kind of job as non of the above
can be eaten.

I'm obviously in the 'manic' phase and will undoubtedly crash and burn
very, very soon.

OSM

On Feb 20, 1:33 am, Norel Pref <norelp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> fuck all you Fbook haters.  If it's good enough for Sister Decadence, it's
> good enough for me!  hee hee.
>
> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Spanky Poppagasket <cardiacfla...@gmail.com
>

> > wrote:
> > No log- ^ All Sounds good.  You maybe right on facebook, I only just
> > started using it to reconnect, but something about using it seems
> > unchurchly.  I may abandon it.  Definitely some theremin, haha.  All those
> > BBC radiophonic peoples were Gods.  Not sure if you are into the same
> > things, but if you haven't heard Delia Derbyshire then check out
> >www.youtube.com/watch?v=jetzY-W78gg-- I have a super huge crush- if only
> > I had a TARDIS.

just john

Feb 20, 2012, 10:35:04 PM2/20/12
to le Monohedron del Goog

On Feb 19, 1:02 pm, Spanky Poppagasket <cardiacfla...@gmail.com>
wrote:
My most powerful Linux machine is probably my netbook. (Its
competition is an ancient Thinkpad.) The Hydrogen drum machine plus
any F/X can pretty much clobber it.

My experience with VST is mostly on this Mac mini.

Spanky Poppagasket

Feb 22, 2012, 7:37:07 AM2/22/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
Nice to meet you and everyone.  I'm in awe of everyone's industriousness- I'm just emerging.  I've been checking out tracks where I can.  List any songs here too you'd like for me to check out- it's impossible to know where to go and who is who and what to play.  Also just checking in to let you know I'm still committed.  I have a serious flu thing going on right now so I'm up and down inside out- keep hoping it will dissipate, but to no avail...

Outa_Spaceman Being: 52

Feb 22, 2012, 8:04:50 AM2/22/12
to le Monohedron del Goog
Sharing and enjoying!

I've been using DropBox to share files with the rest of my band.
The introduction (Free) space is only 2gig but it seems to work well
in high-turnover situations.
I've got a SoundCloud acc http://soundcloud.com/outa_spaceman
& I also use TinDeck (it's full of Home-Stuckers) for mp3 files:
http://tindeck.com/users/outaspaceman

As for Delia Derbyshire...
http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/
I have quite a collection of her work (some post BBC stuff).

OSM

On Feb 22, 12:37 pm, Spanky Poppagasket <cardiacfla...@gmail.com>

Norel Pref

Feb 22, 2012, 10:22:11 AM2/22/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
Once the FAWM thing is finished, then we'll work on organizing some shit.  I'll be freed up in March and be able to devote some quality time to this.

Royal de Capitator

Feb 25, 2012, 4:56:04 PM2/25/12
to le Monohedron del Goog
Thanks for the cluing me in JJ, I will echo all the warm sentiments
previously posted.
Just starting my work for the church in earnest this year, will
likely have more stuff on HoS if Stang plays it.
My main areas of focus are sound collage and computer music
production. I'm not set up for instruments so I'm keen on the
remixing possibilites that could emerge here! Been using FL studio
for 11 years
, really only competently for the last 5.
Keep on Slackin'!

Spanky Poppagasket

Mar 2, 2012, 6:51:38 PM3/2/12
to mon...@googlegroups.com
Oops, must correct myself.  I was thinking of LMMS when I wrote Audacity worked with vsti.  It's LMMS for vsti.  I was messing around with aeolus and jack today trying to record the output in Audacity.  Finally got it going- making some geeky sounds.  I think I'm going to try TerminatorX now and look for other sound generators + audio things.

I went to the hospital a few days ago and found out I had pneumonia and got put on antibiotics.  Still recovering after several weeks.  I really didn't feel like myself.

I caught the FAWM album on archive.org- pretty nice, made some visuals while listening.  Eggs'ellente, Bright Sirs!