can monocle support PDF format?

rodolfo tuble

Jun 4, 2014, 11:05:15 PM6/4/14
to monoc...@googlegroups.com
Since it can support Epub and HTML I was wondering if it is possible for it to support PDF too

Ori Idan

Jun 5, 2014, 2:21:45 AM6/5/14
to monocle-js
EPUB is using HTML therefore monocole can support EPUB although not by itself, you need to write a wrapper that will unpack the EPUB and prepare it.

As for PDF, It can be supported only if you have an engine that can convert the PDF to HTML, I am not aware of such library that is open source.  I'd be happy to hear about one.

--
Ori Idan CEO Helicon Books

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 6:05 AM, rodolfo tuble <rtc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Since it can support Epub and HTML I was wondering if it is possible for it to support PDF too

rodolfo tuble

Jun 5, 2014, 2:35:07 AM6/5/14
to monoc...@googlegroups.com
thanks for the heads up mate. So those are my only option to convert a pdf file to epub or html.

thanks again :)

Ori Idan

Jun 5, 2014, 2:50:10 AM6/5/14
to monocle-js
If you find a reliable method of converting PDF to EPUB or HTML I'd be happy to hear.
Due to the nature of PDF as being print ready file, it can not be directly converted to EPUB or HTML.

--
Ori Idan CEO Helicon Books

On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 9:35 AM, rodolfo tuble <rtc...@gmail.com> wrote:
thanks for the heads up mate. So those are my only option to convert a pdf file to epub or html.

thanks again :)

Robert Schroll

Jun 5, 2014, 2:57:01 AM6/5/14
to monoc...@googlegroups.com, monocle-js
On Thu, Jun 5, 2014 at 2:21 AM, Ori Idan <o...@heliconbooks.com> wrote:
> As for PDF, It can be supported only if you have an engine that can
> convert the PDF to HTML, I am not aware of such library that is open
> source. I'd be happy to hear about one.

Both Poppler [1] and Xpdf [2] provide a pdftohtml utility. I haven't
played with either; I don't expect that they are particularly high
fidelity.

If you want better rendering, perhaps you should check out PDF.js [3].
It's the engine behind Firefox's PDF viewer, and it's pure javascript.

Robert

[1] http://poppler.freedesktop.org/
[2] http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/home.html
[3] http://mozilla.github.io/pdf.js/

cam...@libraryforall.org

Sep 7, 2015, 1:25:11 PM9/7/15
to Monocle
I posted our pdf solution on a different thread