gendarme - contributing changes to the project trunk

lukasz.knop

Aug 11, 2007, 12:32:15 PM8/11/07
to mono-soc-2007

As requested, I post this question to the group so that everyone could
see the response.

I wanted to ask about additions to gendarme framework. In several
rules of mine I am checking the state of the stack by investigating
preceding instructions - the return types of methods, loading locals,
method parameters, etc. I think it would be useful to add such
functionality to gendarme framework itself - checking the type of the
stack topmost value. How should I approach this? What do I put in the
repository, the diffs, the added/updated files or the whole framework
with newly introduced changes?

Lukasz

Néstor Salceda

Aug 12, 2007, 4:32:17 PM8/12/07
to mono-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lukasz,

> I wanted to ask about additions to gendarme framework. In several
> rules of mine I am checking the state of the stack by investigating
> preceding instructions - the return types of methods, loading locals,
> method parameters, etc. I think it would be useful to add such
> functionality to gendarme framework itself - checking the type of the
> stack topmost value. How should I approach this? What do I put in the
> repository, the diffs, the added/updated files or the whole framework
> with newly introduced changes?

In my case, I wrote a patch for allow some parameter config in the
rules.xml file. Then, I sent a mail with the patch attached to the
group, you can see it.

http://groups.google.com/group/mono-soc-2007/browse_thread/thread/d3431bfa2f731616/1ce02038f11359d4?lnk=gst&q=patch&rnum=4&hl=en#1ce02038f11359d4

And, I save a copy in my computer and other in the svn, I created a
patches directory in my personal directory in the svn. Then, if my
computer crashes, there won't be any problem recovering the patch.

And finally, for create the patch, I have made a checkout from the cecil
module in the anonsvn module, then I write my code and when all is
tested and working I made a svn diff, then I get the patch.

Hope help you.

Néstor.

Sebastien

Aug 13, 2007, 9:28:47 AM8/13/07
to mono-soc-2007
The patch (including a ChangeLog entry) will be the most useful to
most (review) and me (review+apply).
However, if it's easier for you, you can keep a copy of the Gendarme
framework in Google's SoC SVN (as long as you email the patch for
review).

Gendarme SVN repo has been kept (mostly) identical this summer to
ensure everyone wouldn't need to update (or sync) from it everyday.
However there are changes planned and coming :-)