Gendarme - status report 7 & 8

lukasz.knop

Aug 8, 2007, 8:03:37 PM8/8/07
to mono-soc-2007
Over the last two weeks I was finally able to move forward with the
Gendarme GUI runner.

Currently the runner uses the standard xml configuration file and
displays the results in a textbox. The immediate plan is to allow for
more flexible selection of rules that will be used for assembly
analysis rather that manually editing the xml file as well as leverage
the gui for a more convenient data display.

The problems I encountered regarded the monodevelop IDE as I really
wanted to see the existing gendarme addin in action. The addin is
available here:
http://code.google.com/p/gendarmeaddin/
However, I encountered a true "dll hell" as I was unable to compile it
with the glib-sharp (version 2.4) libraries I had installed along with
mono 1.2.4_04. Compiling monodevelop did not succeed either as some
parts required glib-sharp 2.6 while others failed with that version
and needed 2.8. Moreover, contrary to my understanding, adding both
versions to gac still caused compilation errors. Finally I tried
installing a precompiled version 1.2.4_06 but that crashed miserably
while starting - "Application not found: IDE", again giving errors
about missing dlls. Adding those dlls to gac helped somewhat as those
errors disappeared, but the one about Application not found remained.
Having googled for some pointers, such as
http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/monodevelop-list/2007-June/006150.html
I reinstalled the system assuming that some libraries from the
previously installed version might disturb the new installation.
Unfortunately, nothing changed.

All in all I have spent a lot of time on that but finally I gave up. I
am using SharpDevelop under windows which supports compilation against
mono. Plus, the System.Windows.Forms designer is helpful, at least to
begin with.

Lukasz

Sebastien

Aug 9, 2007, 4:49:20 PM8/9/07
to mono-soc-2007

On Aug 8, 8:03 pm, "lukasz.knop" <lukasz.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Over the last two weeks I was finally able to move forward with the
> Gendarme GUI runner.
>
> Currently the runner uses the standard xml configuration file and
> displays the results in a textbox. The immediate plan is to allow for
> more flexible selection of rules that will be used for assembly
> analysis rather that manually editing the xml file as well as leverage
> the gui for a more convenient data display.
>
> The problems I encountered regarded the monodevelop IDE as I really
> wanted to see the existing gendarme addin in action. The addin is
> available here:http://code.google.com/p/gendarmeaddin/
> However, I encountered a true "dll hell" as I was unable to compile it
> with the glib-sharp (version 2.4) libraries I had installed along with
> mono 1.2.4_04. Compiling monodevelop did not succeed either as some
> parts required glib-sharp 2.6 while others failed with that version
> and needed 2.8. Moreover, contrary to my understanding, adding both
> versions to gac still caused compilation errors. Finally I tried
> installing a precompiled version 1.2.4_06 but that crashed miserably
> while starting - "Application not found: IDE", again giving errors
> about missing dlls. Adding those dlls to gac helped somewhat as those
> errors disappeared, but the one about Application not found remained.

> Having googled for some pointers, such ashttp://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/monodevelop-list/2007-June/006150.html

> I reinstalled the system assuming that some libraries from the
> previously installed version might disturb the new installation.
> Unfortunately, nothing changed.

That's sad :(

Maybe you can get some help from mono-devel (gtk# issues) or
monodevelop-list ?
Not just for trying the plugin but both projects are interesting to
have installed and working.

> All in all I have spent a lot of time on that but finally I gave up. I
> am using SharpDevelop under windows which supports compilation against
> mono. Plus, the System.Windows.Forms designer is helpful, at least to
> begin with.

Make sure the results are working on the latest Mono releases (as SWF
is still improving with each release).

Sebastien

lukasz.knop

Aug 11, 2007, 12:29:21 PM8/11/07
to mono-soc-2007

On 9 Sie, 22:49, Sebastien <sebastien.poul...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe you can get some help from mono-devel (gtk# issues) or
> monodevelop-list ?
> Not just for trying the plugin but both projects are interesting to
> have installed and working.

> Make sure the results are working on the latest Mono releases (as SWF

> is still improving with each release).

The monodevelop version included in mono 1.2.4_04 works without
problems and I was using it previously for writing some of the rules.
Apart from that, I have not tried the latest 0.15 release of
monodevelop so I will test it tomorrow.

Lukasz