Hathi: New open source project to participate. We are looking for collaborators

elno...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2009, 4:26:13 AM6/25/09
to Mono Olive - developing.NET 3.0, 3.5 and later versions
Dear Community, good evening / morning / afternoon.

A few days ago, along with a friend of mine, decided to start the
Hathi project.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/hathi/

Just a short introduction to our project:

Hathi is a reincarnition of the lphant P2P project.
lphant was a free sofware project for a P2P client. Its community
released several versions under GPL license. Then, when application
raised 1.0, some of their developers fell in the dark side temptations
and split the project in two parts, the GUI, still under GPL and the
"kernel", under closed source.
After that, they released 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 versions, but bad luck
continued when a company bought the lphant.com domain and uses it to
offer a fake 4.0 version of that application.

We already started to work with the GPL source code of lphant, version
1.0 and GUI 1.10. We will make it stable to create a solid baseline
for Hathi.

First ideas to implement in this project are:
*Bittorrent support, using BitSharp library http://www.mono-project.com/Bitsharp
*New logging facilities, using Log4Net http://logging.apache.org/log4net/
*WPF GUI, like Family.Show: http://www.codeplex.com/familyshow
*New deployment facilities, as rpm and deb packaging. Also a new
Windows installer.

Anyway, we are open to your ideas. You can post them in :
https://sourceforge.net/apps/ideatorrent/hathi/ (require sf.net login)
Even when we want multplatform support ussing mono/.net, some of the
ideas can't be implemented today due the not mature status of some
specific technologies in mono. That status is not a problem for us, we
believe that need is a big gear for creation :)

Currently we need help for different roles, including:

* C# Developers, .net and/or mono
* C# QA Testers
* People to create documentation, .net documenting facilities
knowledge is appreciated. We are able train any person for these tasks
if required.
* Translators, for GUI and documentation.
* Ubuntu and/or debian packagers
* RPM (Fedora, CentOS, OpenSuSE) packagers.

We will appreciate you to spread this message between your colleagues
and friends.

Regards.