ADO or Database Driver for Silverlight

Michael Sync

Mar 5, 2009, 12:52:34 PM3/5/09
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is there any way to develop ADO or Database Driver or something that can help us to connect the database directly from Silverlight? Let's say I have a MS Access database in Isolated Storage and want to connect that database from Silverlight without using any service. Is it possible to port the existing ADO.NET library for Silverlight? Do we need to create our own database driver? I'm also a developer but I'm not familiar with that field so that I'm looking for some helps from you guys. It would be really great if you guys can share me some concepts or links or code or etc.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Michael Sync

--
Don't go the way life takes you.
Take life the way you go

http://michaelsync.net

david...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 2:05:24 PM3/9/09
to Mono Olive - developing.NET 3.0, 3.5 and later versions
On Mar 5, 10:52 am, Michael Sync <mchls...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any way to develop ADO or Database Driver or something that can
> help us to connect the database directly from Silverlight? Let's say I have
> a MS Access database in Isolated Storage and want to connect that database
> from Silverlight without using any service. Is it possible to port the
> existing ADO.NET library for Silverlight? Do we need to create our own
> database driver? I'm also a developer but I'm not familiar with that field
> so that I'm looking for some helps from you guys. It would be really great
> if you guys can share me some concepts or links or code or etc.

If you could find a pure manged ADO driver for a database I don't
think it will be very difficult to port it to Silverlight. AFAIK there
is not such a thing for MS Access databases. There is only 2
embeddable databases that comes to mind that may work the way you want
it: db4o and vistadb. In fact googling about vistadb and silverlight I
came across this link:

http://weblogs.asp.net/mschwarz/archive/2007/06/08/vistadb-with-silverlight.aspx

I hope that helps.

David.

david...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 2:10:44 PM3/9/09
to Mono Olive - developing.NET 3.0, 3.5 and later versions
Another thing I forgot to mention is that you could use HTML 5 sql
capabilities (calling javascript functions from Silverlight). This
would be useful only for the latest Webkit releases or as the link I
posted says you could use google gears to accomplish this.

Michael Sync

Mar 9, 2009, 8:39:00 PM3/9/09
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, David. db4o and vistadb are very interesting. I think VistaDB is not open source one so I'm currently checking db4o.

Another thing: mysql-connector-net-5.2.5-src is also written in C# but it has some dependency on System.Data.Common. I think that if I can create some kinda inferface like System.Data.Common, I guess I should be able to port it..What do you think?

Using Gear might not good idea since everyone is not having Gear installed. Thanks a lot for your reply.

david...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2009, 10:48:24 AM3/10/09
On Mar 9, 6:39 pm, Michael Sync <mchls...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another thing: mysql-connector-net-5.2.5-src is also written in C# but it
> has some dependency on System.Data.Common. I think that if I can create some
> kinda inferface like System.Data.Common, I guess I should be able to port
> it..What do you think?

If you want to use MySQL you will need a MySQL server installation in
the client's machine to be able to use the driver and even if you do
have it I don't think you can P/Invoke to the database from
Silverlight (for security reasons). As I understand it, you could only
do this if your whole DB engine is in managed code compiled using the
Silverlight's version of .NET. So I don't think MySQL will work but I
could be wrong.
I don't know the whole scenario of the app you want to create but if
you set the requirements you could use Safari's HTML5 database
capabilities. But your app will only work on Safari. Or db4o sounds
like the perfect match for the job.

David.