How to generate the xml file for MSVC?

Jonx

Jan 8, 2012, 8:18:25 PM1/8/12
to mono-cxxi
Hi,
If I get things right you generate the required xml file for GCC using
GCCXML but what do you use in case you want to get the XML for windows
and visual studio?

Is there any documentation around except what's in the readme file?

Thank you for your help,
John.

Alex Corrado

Jan 8, 2012, 9:22:15 PM1/8/12
to kni...@gmail.com, mono...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

First off, welcome!

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Jonx <kni...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
If I get things right you generate the required xml file for GCC using
GCCXML but what do you use in case you want to get the XML for windows
and visual studio?

The process is the same for Windows. Gccxml is only used because we need a C++ parser. Its XML output is run through the generator, which produces the C# code for the bindings. That bindings code is not platform- nor compiler-specific. Those specifics are handled by the ABI implementation, in your case, MsvcAbi.

You should note that the MsvcAbi implementation is still pretty incomplete. If you do try it, you will likely run into EntryPointNotFound exceptions due to the incomplete name mangling implementation, and it will likely fail with any classes involved in multiple inheritance. That being said, if you have the time/interest, it would be great to have some help improving that :)

Is there any documentation around except what's in the readme file?

Not really much yet. For now, the best documentation is the code and samples. Feel free to send any other questions here and we'll do our best to answer them quickly.

Best,
Alex

Jonx

Jan 8, 2012, 9:35:30 PM1/8/12
to mono-cxxi
Excellent, thanks for the fast response Alex.
I'll give it a try and let you know what comes out...
Thanks again,
John.

Kevin Thompson

Jan 24, 2012, 11:35:53 PM1/24/12
to mono-cxxi
Hi Jon, were you able to get gccxml working on windows? I ended up
building the installer with CMake and i got it working via the
installer. If you need help let me know.

John Knipper

Jan 25, 2012, 7:53:23 AM1/25/12
to mono...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,
Yes, thanks, I was able to build gccxml on windows...

This makes a pretty high price to get into the cxxi project but now it's done...

For now this is all a bit on hold for me. Because of the current state
of the project and because of what I need, it will be easier to do the
binding by hand...