Automatic update your app

Milton Pividori

Mar 8, 2011, 8:58:40 PM3/8/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I am developing a Mono.Addins based application, and I wonder what's the
best approach to offer automatic update functionality. MonoDevelop is
able to automatically update addins, but what if I want to update the
entire application (not only the addins, but the core components too)?
Do you know how to design it using only Mono.Addins?

I thought in moving the core components to addins, but I am not sure if
that would work, and I don't have the time to do a major refactoring
only for testing. Do some of you guys have experience developing this
kind of functionality?

What I have in mind right now is to download a simple text file from a
http server, check the current version with the one published there, and
download and install the new application version if necessary. But I
would like to know if Mono.Addins lets me achieve this in a more easy
and quick way.

Thank you, and sorry for my English.

--
Milton Pividori
Blog: http://www.miltonpividori.com.ar

Lluis Sanchez

Mar 9, 2011, 7:17:19 AM3/9/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Mono.Addins doesn't specifically provide a solution for this (which
doesn't mean it can't be done). In MonoDevelop for Mac and Windows we
check for new updates by getting a text file from a server, like you
propose. But all we do is notify the user and direct him to a download
page.

If you want a solution based only in Mono.Addins, you could certainly
move your core components to add-ins. You would only need a small
startup application which would initialize the add-in engine and load
some initial class from an extension point. You could then update the
whole app by updating the add-ins. MonoDevelop was designed in this way
at the beginning. However, fully relying on the add-in manager to update
the whole application is not very practical for an application like
MonoDevelop. For example, you can't add dependencies to system packages
that your application may need to run. Also, the initial setup installs
the add-ins in /usr, you can't update them without asking for root
permissions.

Lluis.

El dt 08 de 03 de 2011 a les 22:58 -0300, en/na Milton Pividori va
escriure:

Milton Pividori

Mar 10, 2011, 8:05:48 AM3/10/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Luis.

El 09/03/11 09:17, Lluis Sanchez escribi�: