upgrading to mono.addins 0.6 and 0.6.2

Matteo Tesser

Oct 20, 2011, 2:06:05 PM10/20/11
to mono-...@googlegroups.com
Hello mono-addins team!,
I tried to update the Addins system of the software I'm developing.  After updating to mono.Addins 0.6 and 0.6.2  I noticed that, in Windows, the addins engine fails to scan assemblies under Windows and generates errors like the following:

Scanning file: ...\...\mydll.dll
Using assembly reflector: Mono.Addins.CecilReflector.Reflector
Error:There was an error while scanning assembly: ...\...\mydll.dll
ExceptionSystem.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'Mono.Cecil.Metadata.TableHeap' threw an exception. ---> System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.InitializeArray(Array array, RuntimeFieldHandle fldHandle)
   at Mono.Cecil.Metadata.TableHeap..cctor()
   at Mono.Cecil.Metadata.TableHeap..ctor(Section section, UInt32 start, UInt32 size)
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadMetadataStream(Section section)
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadMetadata()
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage()
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom(Stream stream)
   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule(Stream stream, ReaderParameters parameters)
   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule(String fileName, ReaderParameters parameters)
   at Mono.Addins.CecilReflector.Reflector.LoadAssembly(String file, Boolean cache)
   at Mono.Addins.CecilReflector.Reflector.LoadAssembly(String file)
   at Mono.Addins.Database.AddinScanner.GetReflector(IProgressStatus monitor, AddinScanResult scanResult, String filePath)
   at Mono.Addins.Database.AddinScanner.ScanAssembly(IProgressStatus monitor, String filePath, AddinScanResult scanResult, AddinDescription& config)
Stack   at Mono.Cecil.Metadata.TableHeap..ctor(Section section, UInt32 start, UInt32 size)
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadMetadataStream(Section section)
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadMetadata()
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImage()
   at Mono.Cecil.PE.ImageReader.ReadImageFrom(Stream stream)
   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule(Stream stream, ReaderParameters parameters)
   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.ReadModule(String fileName, ReaderParameters parameters)
   at Mono.Addins.CecilReflector.Reflector.LoadAssembly(String file, Boolean cache)
   at Mono.Addins.CecilReflector.Reflector.LoadAssembly(String file)
   at Mono.Addins.Database.AddinScanner.GetReflector(IProgressStatus monitor, AddinScanResult scanResult, String filePath)
   at Mono.Addins.Database.AddinScanner.ScanAssembly(IProgressStatus monitor, String filePath, AddinScanResult scanResult, AddinDescription& config)

I saw that the cecil library have been updated  into Mono.Addins on the February 23, 2011 and this cecil error manifested to others using cecil 0.9.4: see

http://groups.google.com/group/mono-cecil/browse_thread/thread/952387ac994e47cf?pli=1

I noticed that the problem does not manifest  if I recompile mono addins using the latest stable cecil library 0.9.5.

My intention is only to share this information, hoping it's usefulness.

Best,
Matteo