SET Oct 7th and 8th and Digital Stuff !

Richard Krohn

Aug 19, 2017, 9:25:26 PM8/19/17
to monmouth-ares-races
Hello All,

It's time to start planning for the ARRL SET
As with past SET's I'm going to let everyone fit it into their schedule as best as possible through out the weekend, However the main tabletop and location testing will be on Saturday.
Looking to get everyone involved with this one.

The 2 clubs - GSARA and OMARC - I'm going to visit both clubs before the SET
Middletown RACES - Call or email me Mario
VOADS - ex: Red Cross - Howard who would this be ?
NTS
Anybody else ?
How about a CAP contact ? (Did I just say that !?) Hi Hi, all are invited.

I have a completely different scenario planned, no Hurricanes - it will start in Western Monmouth and go East !

Now, lets talk about Digital comms, this is not necessarily because of, or for the SET, but it could be.

I'm thinking HF digital - like Winlink HF using their sound card software Winmor ( Now in the past I've mentioned Winlink and there are some that want to jump overboard like the boats on FIRE ! )
Well it's not, you can keep all of your digital traffic on the radio and not use the internet.

I've heard it all about the the evil curse of letting the internet anywhere near the Radios, so please don't send me hate mail over it.
(Betcha, maybe your computer is connected to the internet and that same computer is connected to your rig to control it with a cable ?) Just saying.

With a sound card interface, there is no expensive German made Pactor 3 TNC to buy, nor dust off a old PK232 for Pactor 1

There is still plenty of room for the existing 2 meter packet in our area too, but we have to come up with a plan to improve connectivity within the county.

If Winlink is still "burning your toast" how about a keyboard to keyboard mode like FLDIGI or PSK31 even RTTY ?

Let me here your thoughts, We don't allow direct posting here, so reply and after I read it I will post all comments that are productive.
Or email me directly at n2sm...@gmail.com if you want to keep it private.

Like it or not, with NTS moving parts of its operation towards Winlink, it's eventual - (I know the voice nets are there, and they do work great ! and I'm not trying to change that)

73 de Rich N2SMV