3d Printing a Bracket

J.R. Logan

Jun 6, 2014, 5:24:21 PM6/6/14
to monitor...@googlegroups.com
I am looking to try the Monitoring Change approach to document changes after we removed a dam in New Haven. I have access to a 3d printer so was thinking I could make a custom 3d printed bracket. The advantage would be I could include a grove and lip to increase how consistently phones were aimed.

I will print this and report back how it works. If anyone has ideas for how to improve it, particularly make it easier to anchor, I would love to hear the feedback. You can grab the 3d model I made at: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:355754
Screenshot from 2014-06-06 17:13:07.png

Annette Schloss

Jun 11, 2014, 8:04:11 AM6/11/14
to J.R. Logan, Annette Schloss, monitor...@googlegroups.com
JR,

 I am very interested in how this comes out.  The Picture Post project (http://picturepost.unh.edu) makes 8-sided platforms to get the whole landscape from recycled plastic lumber, which works ok but we have been interested if the 3D printer approach could make post platforms that are durable and customizable - especially to fit mobile phones and mini-ipads.  I hope it works out, and if anyone has suggestions for picture post, please pass those on.  (you can see our standard top here:   http://picturepost.unh.edu/buy.jsp

many thanks,
-Annette Schloss

--
An open source community for collaborative development of change monitoring systems, tools and applications. People can do this right now using existing materials at single sites or they can organize networks of camera stations at scales of parks, cities, watersheds, counties, states, countries, or the world.

This is a presentation of an idea. Anyone can modify this in any way they like and implement it at any scale. No copyrights. No permissions needed. Just Do It.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Monitor Change" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/monitor-change.
<Screenshot from 2014-06-06 17:13:07.png>

J.R. Logan

Jul 22, 2014, 12:50:22 PM7/22/14
to monitor...@googlegroups.com
I posted a blog on my work on this project. This includes some pictures of the printed brackets on location and links to the 3d model files. The 3d printed models themselves I spray painted to help them survive the weather better.

http://www.newhavenlandtrust.org/blog/3d-printing-helps-record-dam-removal

Hopefully this is helpful to those looking to do something similar.

JR