Usage with Active Model Serializers

bog...@grafidelity.de

Jan 23, 2014, 9:53:55 PM1/23/14
to mongoid-c...@googlegroups.com
The way AMS separates serialization from business logic is very clean, but at first glance the caching solution of mongoid-cached-json seems to be nice and AMS doesn't have one yet. Is there any feasible possibility to use mongoid-cached-json with AMS?

Daniel Doubrovkine

Jan 24, 2014, 8:17:27 AM1/24/14
to mongoid-c...@googlegroups.com
Since the serializer returns JSON I suspect that a solution equivalent to mongoid-cached-json can be built by borrowing the caching parts. But since mongoid-cached-json is effectively the presenter portion as well I doubt that you can mix these two "as-is".

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM, <bog...@grafidelity.de> wrote:
The way AMS separates serialization from business logic is very clean, but at first glance the caching solution of mongoid-cached-json seems to be nice and AMS doesn't have one yet. Is there any feasible possibility to use mongoid-cached-json with AMS?

dB. | Moscow - Geneva - Seattle - New York
code.dblock.org - @dblockdotorg - artsy.net - github/dblock

bog...@grafidelity.de

Jan 24, 2014, 9:56:12 AM1/24/14
to mongoid-c...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. The Active Model Serializers team (Rails core members) is by the way currently evaluating/working on their/one approach to caching. These links are from their public roadmap backlog:

per serializer instance caching
https://github.com/rails-api/active_model_serializers/commit/ee3cec3d0c0d4da6bbf92b428c022a9b1058ba91

Global serializer cache

https://github.com/rails-api/active_model_serializers/pull/89
https://gist.github.com/chancancode/5ad770c4b6c85eebe54c

Maybe your caching part might be compatible to their thoughts.

Am Freitag, 24. Januar 2014 14:17:27 UTC+1 schrieb Daniel Doubrovkine:
Since the serializer returns JSON I suspect that a solution equivalent to mongoid-cached-json can be built by borrowing the caching parts. But since mongoid-cached-json is effectively the presenter portion as well I doubt that you can mix these two "as-is".
On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:53 PM, <bog...@grafidelity.de> wrote:
The way AMS separates serialization from business logic is very clean, but at first glance the caching solution of mongoid-cached-json seems to be nice and AMS doesn't have one yet. Is there any feasible possibility to use mongoid-cached-json with AMS?

Daniel Doubrovkine

Jan 24, 2014, 1:37:42 PM1/24/14
to mongoid-c...@googlegroups.com
So, AMS added caching for JSON output, that's good! What are the features that you're missing (for my personal education)?

Thx
dB.