Release Timeline 0.9?

Brian Bouterse

Sep 16, 2014, 10:09:20 AM9/16/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
Is there an idea of when mongoengine 0.9 will be released? I'm really excited about using it in production, but we can't until it's officially released. I know it can be hard to predict sometimes, but any information would be helpful.

Thanks,
Brian

Ross Lawley

Oct 13, 2014, 4:55:02 AM10/13/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
Maintainers any plans for the next release?  Anything you are waiting on / needs eyes on?

Ross

--

---

DavidBord

Oct 27, 2014, 2:46:24 AM10/27/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
Not me

Matthieu Rigal

Dec 4, 2014, 9:44:34 AM12/4/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, it would be great to get one new version out of the door !

I think one of the problem is that we have a very bad overview of the issues. A better usage made of the labels could help significantly, the triage step of issues is one classical problem of open-source projects.

In case you are agreeing and willing to, I offer my services to help on that task.
I think a similar system as Mongo uses with Jira would bring great clearness:

1) Release tags (0.9, 0.9.1, 1.0 or None)

2) Type (improvement, bugfix, new feature, question or task)

3) Priority (minor, major, or critical)

4) Status (use the current ones)

5) Component (not required for us IMHO)

Best,
Matthieu

Serge Matveenko

Dec 4, 2014, 12:28:14 PM12/4/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Matthieu Rigal
<matt....@googlemail.com> wrote:
> In case you are agreeing and willing to, I offer my services to help on that
> task.

Well. We know what issues we want for 0.9
https://github.com/MongoEngine/mongoengine/milestones/0.9

At least those two bugs should be fixed
https://github.com/MongoEngine/mongoengine/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.9+label%3Abug+

We all have things to do. If you have time to help the project, it is
crucial to fix those bugs at this moment.

> I think a similar system as Mongo uses with Jira would bring great
> clearness:
>
> 1) Release tags (0.9, 0.9.1, 1.0 or None)

The are milestones on github for that. And after bugs I've mentioned
will be fixed there will be 0.9 branch.

> 2) Type (improvement, bugfix, new feature, question or task)

We have tags. And they are kind of up to date now. Feel free to
suggest any tag change in the comments.

> 3) Priority (minor, major, or critical)

Why? I don't see the meaning for the priority in the project for now.
We need every bug to be fixed or it is not a bug. We will plan
features in context of milestones. This is priority. Moreover
["minor", "major", "critical"] are the values for typical "Severity"
field not for the "Priority".

> 4) Status (use the current ones)

Well. Ok:)

> 5) Component (not required for us IMHO)

Glad to know that.

Matthieu, thank you very much for your enthusiasm. Having motivated
contributors is very important thing for every open source project.
I'm glad you've taken the time to help. If you have any opinions on
how to deal with any of the issues please feel free to post a comment
on that issue. It will be great to see any of the bugs fixed. Feel
free to send pull request.

--
Serge Matveenko
mailto: se...@matveenko.ru

Matthieu Rigal

Dec 5, 2014, 4:24:04 AM12/5/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

"
At least those two bugs should be fixed
https://github.com/MongoEngine/mongoengine/issues?q=is%3Aopen+milestone%3A0.9+label%3Abug+

We all have things to do. If you have time to help the project, it is
crucial to fix those bugs at this moment.
"

OK, I can try to help.
For the FileField case there seems to be a test and a fix. Maybe we just need to tell the guy to make a pull request or somebody from us takes his commits to make it...
For the InvalidId, we may start by asking the guy to build a test that fails.

Has this already been done or should I make it ?

Best,
Matthieu

Matthieu Rigal

Dec 10, 2014, 3:57:38 PM12/10/14
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've created the pull requests #827 and #830 that fixes these bugs, if someone wants to review and eventually merge it would be cool.

IMHO, the pull request #826 is also a very nice piece of code and would deserve to be merged in and included in the 0.9.

Best,
Matthieu