Documentation site gone.

Alice Bevan–McGregor

Sep 6, 2017, 9:47:30 AM9/6/17
to MongoEngine Developers

Documentation site 404's (with a pretty ASCII art maze; specific pages) or 403's (top level).  Documentation still viewable through GitHub, but the mongoengine.org site directly links to resources on the docs subdomain.  Popped into IRC to mention the problem, but that's a ghost town.

The irony that I'm the one to notice and report the problem is almost palpable.  ^_^;

— Alice.

Andrew Maizels

Sep 6, 2017, 9:50:29 AM9/6/17
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
It's loading for me.

That ASCII maze page is the readthedocs.io 404 page.  Maybe their server burped.

--

---

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I.
Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
Read Peopleware! http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second/dp/0932633439

Alice Bevan–McGregor

Sep 6, 2017, 9:59:37 AM9/6/17
to MongoEngine Developers
Asking around on IRC, I'm not the only one.

The behaviour is strange.  I get a Not Modified response which populates the following in my browser:

"Hard refreshing" (or just disabling cache and refreshing) results in the more dire 403:

This has lasted > 24 hours and has been personally tested on three different ISP network connections and DNS paths.  An interesting hiccup!  ;)

After a pause to perform additional testing, turns out the problem was a cookie set on mongonegine.org affecting the sub-domain.  Hard to tell where that cookie was actually initially set however clearing it has restored access.  Considering browsers would only set a cookie on the domain from a page on the domain…

Welp; just hope this doesn't happen again, and still must question how many people are affected by whatever that was that don't bother reporting it given that multiple IRC users report the same.  (Most weren't Python developers, so no biggie for them. ;)

— Alice.

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Alice Bevan–McGregor <therealg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Documentation site 404's (with a pretty ASCII art maze; specific pages) or 403's (top level).  Documentation still viewable through GitHub, but the mongoengine.org site directly links to resources on the docs subdomain.  Popped into IRC to mention the problem, but that's a ghost town.

The irony that I'm the one to notice and report the problem is almost palpable.  ^_^;

— Alice.

--

---

Alice Bevan–McGregor

Sep 6, 2017, 10:08:47 AM9/6/17
to MongoEngine Developers
Welp, I'm possibly wrong.  Two additional IRC users confirm issue.

cURL reproduces the issue without existing cookies.

*   Trying 162.209.114.75...

* TCP_NODELAY set

* Connected to docs.mongoengine.org (162.209.114.75) port 80 (#0)

> GET / HTTP/1.1

> Host: docs.mongoengine.org

> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden

< Server: nginx/1.10.3 (Ubuntu)

< Vary: Accept-Encoding

< Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 14:07:05 GMT

< Connection: keep-alive

< Set-Cookie: X-Mapping-fjhppofk=EC2A1AAE6893114C1E225F343087E94A; path=/

<center><h1>403 Forbidden</h1></center>

On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 09:50:29 UTC-4, Pixy Misa wrote:
It's loading for me.

That ASCII maze page is the readthedocs.io 404 page.  Maybe their server burped.
On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Alice Bevan–McGregor <therealg...@gmail.com> wrote:

Documentation site 404's (with a pretty ASCII art maze; specific pages) or 403's (top level).  Documentation still viewable through GitHub, but the mongoengine.org site directly links to resources on the docs subdomain.  Popped into IRC to mention the problem, but that's a ghost town.

The irony that I'm the one to notice and report the problem is almost palpable.  ^_^;

— Alice.

--

---

Andrew Maizels

Sep 6, 2017, 10:13:47 AM9/6/17
to mongoen...@googlegroups.com
Huh.  Still working for me, both in Chrome and via Curl.  Resolves to the same IP address too.

Can you see other Read the Docs pages, like https://pushjack.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ (happened to have that one open).

Alice Bevan–McGregor

Sep 6, 2017, 10:30:15 AM9/6/17
to MongoEngine Developers
On Wednesday, 6 September 2017 10:13:47 UTC-4, Pixy Misa wrote:
Huh.  Still working for me, both in Chrome and via Curl.  Resolves to the same IP address too.

Can you see other Read the Docs pages, like https://pushjack.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ (happened to have that one open).

That RTD site has no issue under repeated testing both in-browser and with cURL.  I've also poked around looking for a RTD status page, but can't seem to find one.  :/

— Alice.

Alice Bevan–McGregor

Sep 6, 2017, 9:24:18 PM9/6/17
to MongoEngine Developers
The localized disruption of space-time appears to be over; things seem to be working again.