What does "supportsCommittedReads" truly mean ?

Hakan

Dec 19, 2015, 6:07:38 AM12/19/15
to mongodb-user
Hi,

I use the latest version of MongoDB (that is, 3.2), After examining the server stats of wiredTiger usingdb.serverStatus(), I have realised that there is a new field called supportsCommittedReads in the "storage" object:

 "storageEngine" : {
                "name" : "wiredTiger",
                "supportsCommittedReads" : true
 },

What should I understand if supportsCommittedReads is true? Plus I did not see any documentation about it on https://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/server-status/

Andy Schwerin

Dec 19, 2015, 4:26:59 PM12/19/15
to mongodb-user
This indicates that the storage engine supports the "majority" read concern level. The documentation of the new readConcern feature is at the following URL:

https://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/readConcern

The name should really be "supportsMajorityReadConcern", but we must have missed it when we finally named that feature. The documentation on serverStatus is still to be updated.

Hakan

Dec 20, 2015, 3:09:03 AM12/20/15
to mongodb-user
Hi Andy, thanks for the quick reply, I found a flag that you pointed out on https://docs.mongodb.org/manual/reference/program/mongod/#cmdoption--enableMajorityReadConcern It says that you must enable it before starting a mongod.  However, this is active by default in wiredTiger?

Dwight Merriman

Dec 20, 2015, 11:28:27 AM12/20/15
to mongodb-user
the docs say the default is "local" (not majority) and i believe that is correct.

Asya Kamsky

Dec 23, 2015, 12:01:33 PM12/23/15
to mongodb-user
I think you're focused too much on the meaning of "supportsCommittedReads": true.

Yes, Wired Tiger supports committed reads.   No, majority committed read concern is not enabled by default, hence there is an option you can use to enable it.

Asya

Asya Kamsky
Lead Product Manager
MongoDB
Download MongoDB - mongodb.org/downloads
Free MongoDB Monitoring - cloud.mongodb.com
Free Online Education - university.mongodb.com
Get Involved - mongodb.org/community
We're Hiring! - https://www.mongodb.com/careers

Eric Sedor

Oct 23, 2016, 2:00:56 PM10/23/16
to mongodb-user
To guide on setting this option, how does a cluster behave differently when enableMajorityReadConcern is enabled, especially with respect to changes in behavior that impact performance?

Gratefully,
Eric