difference between Ops Manager and Cloud Manager

Arun Ramaswamy

Jul 6, 2016, 10:12:18 AM7/6/16
to mongodb-user
is there any difference between Ops Manager and Cloud Manager? Also can I do an upgrade from 2.6.12 to 3.2 using Cloud manager?

Stephen Steneker

Jul 12, 2016, 6:35:16 AM7/12/16
to mongodb-user
On Thursday, 7 July 2016 00:12:18 UTC+10, Arun Ramaswamy wrote:
is there any difference between Ops Manager and Cloud Manager?

Hi Arun,

Cloud Manager is managed software-as-a-service where you only have to install relevant agents (monitoring, automation, or backup) in your infrastructure. Ops Manager is on-premise software that is part of an Enterprise subscription: you have to install and manage all services on your own infrastructure.

They are similar in terms of main feature areas (monitoring, automation, backup) and user interface but not identical. Since Cloud Manager is a managed service it is updated more regularly than Ops Manager releases and currently has some additional features such as integration with cloud provisioning instances via providers like AWS or Azure.

Please note that the agent versions also differ between Cloud and Ops Manager, so you should ensure you are running the correct agents and referring to the relevant documentation.

For more information, see:

Also can I do an upgrade from 2.6.12 to 3.2 using Cloud manager?

Yes. You asked about upgrading from MongoDB 2.6 to 3.0 with Cloud Manager automation in another discussion thread, and similar caveats apply for 3.0 => 3.2 upgrades (read the server upgrade/compatibility notes, upgrade & test driver if required, ..).

I would recommend upgrading from 2.6 => 3.0 first and ensuring there are no issues before upgrading from 3.0 => 3.2. You should also test any upgrades in a development/staging environment before upgrading your production environment.

Regards,
Stephen