Re: [Monbiot] Digest for monbiot-discuss@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 3 Topics

Andrew Inglis

Dec 25, 2011, 3:30:31 PM12/25/11
to monbiot...@googlegroups.com
No plough or dig is not always an option. Here in Victoria, Australia,
one of the most bushfire prone areas on earth , even long grass
constitutes fire risk, worse given the hilly slopes and recent rains.
I am pondering the permaculture"starry vision" with the realities of
assessing risks to pretty sizeable investments. The neighbours have
just advised of the tiger snakes in the grass, It's been pretty wet
for the last month and the "dry-out" and fire ban season is imminent.
So cutting grass at least in vicinity of the dwelling (say 20 metres
of only shrubs or small, intermittent trees (Deciduous or non-
eucalypts) as required under Bushfire Assesment Levels!) is a blunt
necesity here. In the longerterm it may be gravel verge or similar
that will ensure haard reduction. Similar concerns are about use of
swales and contours "rills" and the revegetation along spiralling
paths : they may have great virtue and logic re water conservation
(Keyline method) etc but theyt provide a direct path for snakes
feeding on frogs etc: I suppose that would be a direct measure of
success, having greater diversity. Does anyone know of non-destructive
ways of dealing with snakes (one can't use baits or similar because of
other animals including the neighbour's dogs.
Believe it or not domestic cats do not do well here in dealing with
snakes: don't knoiw how the foxes or rabbits cope but they survive
(heven knows why they were ever introduced!!)
I think there is a lot of hard "rediscovery" to be done at many
cultural and social levels, even though much of this "Embedded" wisdom
is commonplace, even if not common sense. Anyone remember the "Street
farmers" and " Radical Ecology" folk of the 1970's : whatever become
of those visionaries? Did all hippies become grandparents and
mortgagees?
Wasn't it Deeming who said:
Data is not Information, Information is not Knowledge, and Knowledge
is not Wisdom.
As an aside at TAFE where I teach, I find students taking digital
pictures of the whiteboard notes and diagrams I make: I mean why write
, how stupid would that be eh?. This is a classic demonstration of
mistaking the Information (The digital; snapof what I wrote) for
rewriting absorbing and questioning the knowledge until it is
internalized (ie wisdom). It is always the better students and the
sceptical who "test" facts before applying them.
Anyhow, I'm having to fill the brushcutter and load the mower at least
until I can get the grass to a point where a few sheep can graze
happily. It's a sordid world!