Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Frank Gmeindl

no leída,
23 oct 2012, 18:09:3423/10/12
a monbi...@googlegroups.com,CRcyc...@googlegroups.com
What do you think of this route from Mt. Morris to Wheeling: http://goo.gl/maps/cr2YO ? Any recommendation for a better route would be appreciated.

I haven't ridden that way in over 10 year. I'm concerned about fracking trucks.

Also, what's US 40 like from 221 west? I recall that being rough road and fast traffic.

Today, a woman asked me for a recommended route. She's planning to ride up this Thursday to visit her kids at Wheeling Jesuit University. The longest ride she's done is 50 miles but she seems to be quite fit. I'd like to recommend a low traffic volume route and not too hilly.

4ank

Frank Gmeindl

no leída,
23 oct 2012, 21:34:4023/10/12
a CRcyc...@googlegroups.com,monbi...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

Thanks for the prompt response!  Would you then recommend staying on 19 to Washington and then taking 40 from Washington?

4ank

On Oct 23, 2012, at 6:50 PM, peter young wrote:

Frank,

I think fracking trucks are unavoidable; I ride on 18 and 221 a lot.  The only day they lessen is on Sunday.  It would be possible to do an all back roads route through Greene Co., but it would be constant up and down.  Rt. 19 is actually not bad, with the exception of 4 miles between Waynesburg north to Ruff Creek.  Tell her to be careful; I'm still here.
Peter

Ryan Post

no leída,
24 oct 2012, 9:05:5424/10/12
a CRcyc...@googlegroups.com,monbi...@googlegroups.com
If you want to avoid the fracking coal trucks, the fracking logging trucks, the fracking fracking trucks, and the fracking rednecks, you best just stay on rail trails.  MTB trails are now susceptible to deer hunters.

On the more helpful side, try using Strava to identify routes, you'll likely see lots of KOMs where the riding is good, and you can easily pull one up to see if its a big climb or a flat TT.  I'm seeing Jeff G has a TT going on 18 SE towards Waynesburg and its nearly flat.
http://app.strava.com/segments/723485  Thats a more direct route too.

It doesn't take into account the fracking traffic, but theres been 14rides by 6 ppl on it and that seems kinda high for the area...can't be too bad?

Frank Gmeindl

no leída,
24 oct 2012, 11:06:5724/10/12
a CRcyc...@googlegroups.com,monbi...@googlegroups.com
I rode that segment of 18 three weeks ago but uphill on the Prosperity Century.  I was OK with it but there was a pretty steady stream of frack trucks.  I wouldn't recommend that route to someone that I wasn't going to ride it with.

Seems like stringing together little segments like that for a long ride is laborious and could end up with a somewhat circuitous route.  How can you specify origin and destination and get a decent route?  Of course, Google Maps does that however I find that choosing the Car option and Avoid Highways option gives better routes than the Bicycle option.  RideWithGPS works similar to Strava but also gives grade profiles.

Ryan Post

no leída,
24 oct 2012, 11:25:2124/10/12
a CRcyc...@googlegroups.com,monbi...@googlegroups.com
I must admit, I came up with the Strava KOM linking technique because I wanted to string climbs together and am not afraid to ride the center line if needed. I'm now suggesting it merely to find commonly ridden routes, presuming them to be more bike friendly than not. They may also just be 'essential', like Rt 100.

I doubt any program is going to meet all your parameters, as you're asking for fairly flat, low traffic, good roads, and fairly direct, so you can expect it'll require manual work unless someone on the forum already knows something. I was merely suggesting a new source of data for considering as a general idea.

Yes google maps bike routes, but we know it's algorithm puts too much emphasis on bike paths/routes and not enough on direct or flat.

I find MapMyRide's elevation estimations too often underestimate grades. I've seen races/rides with 5k' elevation show 3k' on MMR.

JEFF GERNERT

no leída,
24 oct 2012, 13:12:0724/10/12
a monbi...@googlegroups.com

If I can suggest an alternate to rt 19 through Waynesburg.... just south of wbg, look for bike rt A to take a left onto orchard. at the funny little 4way intersection continue straight, cross RR tracks and take porter st north out of wbg.  after topping the hill, keep following rt A as it bears left at apple hill rd. apple hill rd ends at rt 19. turn right and have fun bombing down into ruff creek.

having lived in wbg most of my life, this is the best route out of town in most situations.

4ank

no leída,
25 oct 2012, 8:58:0425/10/12
a monbi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Jeff!  I have taken that route and it is much nicer than just going up 19.
Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar
0 mensajes nuevos