A few good questions! :)

Stuart Tener

Jun 26, 2013, 11:07:03 PM6/26/13
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
List members,

I. A few givens before you reply...
   1. I read the documentation, its thin and rather terse, but I read it
   2. I have NOT taken it out for "a spin" (and used it when in motion), I am working with it from a stationary location at the moment
   3. I am running Ubuntu 13.04

1) I downloaded the OpenStreetMaps (30GB or so for the full worldwide distribution) and am curious how to convert some of them to the format and manner as is otherwise available on the website in zip format? I did try to look at some documentation about it, but wherever I saw it, it referenced Postgres 8, not 9.1 which is current. Moreover, even when I attempted to exact the instructions, they failed in great part.

2) How do I enter an address for it to find and display?

3) Is there a way for MoNav to speak directions?

4) I downloaded the "US-PACIFIC" map set and installed it (not realizing that it did not mean the Pacific Coast, an assumption most Americans would make, though I understand the confusion as this is a European project. Most Americans consider HI in the South Pacific, not the Pacific). Anyway, I then clicked on green-arrow and selected "GPS-Location", followed by me clicking on red-circle and "Address". I selected a city (Philadelphia) and then went to type in a street "Borbeck", which was never found, yet it is on the map!?!

Why did that fail?

I then clicked on the lock and it never gave me a route or any directions until later when I went it and loaded the US-NORTHEAST maps notwithstanding the fact I had configured MoNav to use online maps.

I then decided to use "Tap on Map", loaded the US-NORTHEAST maps, and was able to see a route when I clicked the lock.

5) When I click on the wrench followed by "GPS Receiver", the Time is set to "WED DEC 31 19:00:00 1969" and never advances at all. My GPS does provider proper time functionality via gpsd, but that window is inaccurate notwithstanding.

V/R and 73,

Stuart, N3GWG

robert...@gmx.de

Jul 4, 2013, 4:15:22 PM7/4/13
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
If you're using the 0.3 release I can't comment on that since I haven't used it much. I'm developing and using a development version which works for me and has spoken instructions in the permaroute branch. This is on option for you only if you can use mercurial and qmake. Search does not always work in that version either.
The postgres database is only needed if you want to create raster tiles for offline use. They are large files for high zoom levels / large areas. For trying out monav you can use the so called OSMRenderer, which downloads tiles as needed.

Ch. Eckert

Jul 7, 2013, 3:05:32 PM7/7/13
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I'm developing and using a development version which works
> for me and has spoken instructions in the permaroute branch.

great to hear it is still in use :) .

--
Beste Gr��e,
Best regards,