Accessible Routing

Audrey

Apr 26, 2011, 10:05:02 AM4/26/11
to MoNav
Hi,

I'd like to adapt MoNav for accessible routing (blind people).
I have seen different kinds of routing in MoNav (car,
pedestrian, ...).

Have you some advices for such kind of adaptation? (files to modify,
tips, things to take care, ...)

Thanks in advance,
Audrey

Christian Vetter

Apr 26, 2011, 10:10:30 AM4/26/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com, Audrey
Hi,

Since I have no idea what the usual use case / scenario is for a blind
person I do not really know what to advice you. Could you describe a
typical use case for accessible routing? What will the user do to
start the application / use it / input a route. What output is
expected...

Regards,

Christian Vetter

Christian Vetter

Apr 26, 2011, 10:41:49 AM4/26/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com, Audrey Colbrant
Hi,

Yes, it should be possible. I would start with the routing daemon,
since you do not require a user interface. You can either query the
daemon fro your program or you can use the console test application.
You have to define yourself a suitable speed profile that is used to
generate the routing graph. Using the node / way modifiers you should
be able to apply a wide range of penalties for different tags /
(tag,value) pairs. Try to play a bit with it ( I would advise using
the GUI preprocessor to create the speed profile ).
You can ignore all turn penalties in the speed profile since they are
not used by the routing engine right now.
First you start by adding all highway types that should be used for
routing and setting speed limits for them. To penalize a certain kind
of highway just set a lower maxspeed. Then you can add way and node
modifiers to fine tune the profile based on additional tags ( add
penalties, restrict access... ). You shouldn't have to modify the code
for that.

Note that MoNav does not fully simulate pedestrian routing. Two major
things missing are:
1) Navigating areas: Areas are simply not used at the moment
2) Crossings: Normally you would want to minimize the amount of
crossings you have to do, this is not possible right now.

Regards,

Christian Vetter

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Audrey Colbrant
<audrey....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> An exeample:
>  - input: starting and ending point (lat/lon position)
>  - routing calculation must value stairs over elevator, stairs over escalators, footpath instead of other paths, and a lot of other specifications... in other words, a routing algorithm with weighted graph
>  - output: a route (in GPX or other format)
>
> Do you think it is possible to adapt MoNav for this purpose?
>
> Audrey

Christian Vetter

Apr 27, 2011, 6:57:38 AM4/27/11
to Audrey Colbrant, monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've never tried building it on a Mac, you could take a look at
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/developing-on-mac.html for hints.

It seems that you can specify "-spec macx-xcode" or "-spec macx-gcc"
to build xcode or gcc files.

Are all the dependencies available for Mac?

PS: Could you send your reply the the mailing list instead addressing
it to me directly?

Regards,

Christian Vetter

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Audrey Colbrant
<audrey....@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Mac.
> There is no need of Makefile to run make command in MoNav case?
>
> I can try to build MoNav under Windows or Linux, I have both OS on my machine. I keep you in touch.
>
> Regards,
> Audrey
>

> On 27 avr. 2011, at 12:43, Christian Vetter wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not familiar with xcodeproj files. Which system are you using to
>> build MoNav? Certainly not Windows or Linux *g*.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Christian Vetter
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Audrey Colbrant
>> <audrey....@inria.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Following your advice, I tried to use the GUI preprocessor.
>>>
>>> First I downloaded sources from SVN.
>>> Then I tried to follow compilation guide (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/MoNav#Compilation). But I was unable to qmake & make due to this error:
>>>
>>> toka-2:MoNav-0.3 dre$ qmake monavpreprocessor-gui.pro && make
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/preprocessor/monav-preprocessor-gui.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/contractionhierarchies/contractionhierarchies.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/gpsgrid/gpsgrid.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/osmrenderer/osmrenderer.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/osmrenderer/mapnikrenderer.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/osmrenderer/qtilerenderer.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/unicodetournamenttrie/unicodetournamenttrie.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/osmimporter/osmimporter.xcodeproj'
>>> WARNING: Ignored (not found) '/MoNav-0.3/plugins/testimporter/testimporter.xcodeproj'
>>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
>>>

>>> Where am I wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks for advices,

Christoph Eckert

Apr 27, 2011, 1:55:48 PM4/27/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

> I've never tried building it on a Mac, you could take a look at
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/developing-on-mac.html for hints.
>
> It seems that you can specify "-spec macx-xcode" or "-spec macx-gcc"
> to build xcode or gcc files.

yep, you need to pass several comand line args to qmake to get traditional
makefiles.

I already tried to build on the Mac, but as I'm still running OS 10.4 I didn't
succeed.

> Are all the dependencies available for Mac?

AFAIR you need a custom installation of QT, in order to link the libraries
statically into the application you're building.

--
Beste Grüße,
Best regards,

ce

Audrey Colbrant

Apr 28, 2011, 10:03:58 AM4/28/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian.

I finally decided to install MoNav under Ubuntu. It's faster and worded after updating the OS and installing packages.
http://packages.debian.org/fr/sid/monav

Next step: creating the specific profile.

I keep you in touch.

Thanks again.

Audrey

Audrey Colbrant

May 2, 2011, 5:06:13 AM5/2/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

I have downloaded the osm map for Rhone-Alpes and tried to convert it for MoNav. But it failed because of a lake of disk space.
How many GB does it need for a region? (I had 300GB)

Thanks,
Audrey

Christian Vetter

May 2, 2011, 5:54:14 AM5/2/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM, Audrey Colbrant
<audrey....@inria.fr> wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I have downloaded the osm map for Rhone-Alpes and tried to convert it for MoNav. But it failed because of a lake of disk space.
> How many GB does it need for a region? (I had 300GB)

I need about 6GB for Germany, so it seems strange that your 300GB do
not suffice for the Rhone-Alpes. Did you download a PBF or XML map?
Maybe the importer has some bugs.

Could you:
- Point me to the map file you downloaded
- Save your settings and speed profile and attach them
- Look up which file got too large

Regards,

Christian Vetter

Audrey Colbrant

May 2, 2011, 9:51:56 AM5/2/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Map file downloaded:
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/france/rhone-alpes.osm.pbf

The file that gets too large is routing_yes.mmm

Best regards,
Audrey

2011/5/2 Christian Vetter <veaac....@gmail.com>
foot.spp

Christian Vetter

May 2, 2011, 9:58:25 AM5/2/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I will look into this in the evening. For now you can disable
packaging the modules ( monav currently does not unpack them
automatically anyway ).

Regards,

Christian Vetter

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Audrey Colbrant

Christian Vetter

May 2, 2011, 10:03:26 AM5/2/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Could you post the output printed to the log? Also, you can save the
settings used for preprocessing in an .ini file, could you please do
that and send it?

Regards,

Christian Vetter

Audrey Colbrant

May 3, 2011, 10:38:57 AM5/3/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is indoor [1] routing supported (indoor/outdoor routing, levels, ...) by MoNav?

Regards,
Audrey

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Indoor_Mapping

Christian Vetter

May 4, 2011, 5:25:45 AM5/4/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

That depends. If the indoor environment is modeled with "highway=*"
tags it is possible to create a speed profile for that. What MoNav
cannot do is route on areas and polygons. So, if your indoor
environment is actually modeled with those your out of luck.

Regards,

Christian Vetter

Audrey Colbrant

May 4, 2011, 5:38:10 AM5/4/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Dear Christian,

I guess the log is console output. See enclosed file "consoleOutput.txt" for full log.
Enclosed you can also find .ini and user profile used for the most recent test.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
consoleOutput.txt
foot.spp
rhone-alpes.ini

Christian Vetter

May 4, 2011, 6:20:25 AM5/4/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for the logs, I've found the bug. It caused the packaged module
to be created in the wrong directory, trying to package them into
themself. This will be fixed for 0.3.1.

However, you do not need to package the module. The GUI client does
not recognize them anyway and the routing daemon just unpacks them
again. Just disable packaging. If you want to package the module for
whatever reason you can do this be settings the output directory to an
absolute path instead of "./".

Regards,

Christian Vetter

Audrey C.

May 4, 2011, 5:46:18 AM5/4/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully, indoor is modeled with "highway=*" tags :)

Thanks for you answer,
Audrey

Audrey C.

May 5, 2011, 4:09:05 AM5/5/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It's faster, you're right, but still have the same error...

Regards,
Audrey

Christian Vetter

May 6, 2011, 6:58:11 PM5/6/11
to monav-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
As I said, you have to either turn of packaging or specify an absolute
path for the ouput directory. The bugfix is in the current version,
but the Debian packages do not include it yet.

Regards,

Christian Vetter