Spurious gradient warning from basis-set history?

Irikura, Karl K. Dr. (Fed)

Jul 6, 2021, 12:00:06 PM7/6/21
to molpro-user

Dear Molpro experts,

I get a warning like this when I run DFT harmonic frequencies using two basis sets in sequence:

Gradient norm at reference geometry: 0.20962D-02

?WARNING: GRADIENT NORM NOT ZERO!

It occurs for the second basis set.  If I switch the order of the basis sets, it still occurs for the second basis set.  It occurs also for non-Pople basis sets.  It also occurs if the input program is written without loops or variables.  However, the actual harmonic frequencies are close (within 0.5 cm-1) to the results from a simple job with one basis set.  So wonder if the gradient value that triggers the warning is incorrect.  I could ignore it, but it also triggers a failure condition in SURF/VSCF.

Thanks for any suggestions, as always!

Karl

***,HOCl harmonic vibs, DFT, basis-set memory giving spurious gradient warning?

memory,1,G;

angstrom;

geometry={

H 1 oh

Cl 1 ocl 2 a

}

oh=1.

ocl=1.7

a=103.

FN='BLYP'

$BASIS_SETS=[6-31g*,6-311g**]

DO J=1,#BASIS_SETS

    basis=BASIS_SETS(J)

    df-ks,$FN,gridgrad=1

    optg

    show,FN,BASIS

    ! harmonic vibrational frequencies

    frequencies,symm=auto

ENDDO

---

basis=6-31g*

df-ks,blyp,gridgrad=1

optg

frequencies,symm=auto

text,SECOND BASIS SET

basis=6-311g**

df-ks,blyp,gridgrad=1

optg

frequencies,symm=auto

P.S.  This is not the kind of calculation that I typically do, but I have been tasked with preparing a Molpro tutorial for people who use Gaussian.  The tutorial will emphasize unique features of Molpro such as program control, VSCF/VCI, and multireference theories.

Dr. Karl K. Irikura

100 Bureau Drive, mail stop 8320

Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8320  USA

voice:  301-975-2510   fax:  301-975-3670

email:  karl.i...@nist.gov

http://www.nist.gov/mml/csd/informatics_research/index.cfm

Hans-Joachim Werner

Jul 6, 2021, 1:47:00 PM7/6/21
to Irikura, Karl K. Dr. (Fed), molpro-user
Dear Karl,
that is indeed strange and looks like a bug. But, as you say, the frequencies are correct. If one does it with tight optg convergence they agree within 0.01 cm-1 or so if done separately or in one run. Apparently it prints/checks a wrong gradient. It also happens with HF rather than ks. I’ll investigate it.
Best regards
Joachim
P.S: Thanks for advertising Molpro! For classes, you might find our graphical user interface gmolpro useful. We are using it here for teaching all the time. The simple guided input is restricted to single reference methods, but one can also run any imported inputs and look at orbitals etc.

Hans-Joachim Werner

Jul 6, 2021, 4:54:03 PM7/6/21
to Irikura, Karl K. Dr. (Fed), molpro-user
Dear Karl,
I found and fixed the problem in our master version. We will make it available as soon as possible. Only the printed gradient was wrong.
Best regards
Joachim
---
Prof. Dr. Hans-Joachim Werner