BAD TERMINATION during scan

Alexandre Voute

Jan 21, 2022, 12:05:56 PM1/21/22
to molpro-user
Hello,
I have an issue with a PES scan along a coordinate using CASSCF (aka MULTI). The input is attached.
The job simply runs without problems for some time but is eventually interrupted with a BAD TERMINATION (exit code 134, terminated by abort signal i.e. 6). The error is reported on stdout and stderr (see below) but not in the output file.

I ran this job twice and the error appeared during iteration #47 both times.
Does anybody know or see what is wrong here?
Best regards,
Alexandre Voute

command:
molpro test_scan_casscf-11e12o_cc-pvdz_220121-122419.inp -o test_scan_casscf-11e12o_cc-pvdz_220121-122419.out --no-xml-output -m 1024 -n 16 &

stdout:
=   BAD TERMINATION OF ONE OF YOUR APPLICATION PROCESSES
=   PID 439449 RUNNING AT lac24-27
=   EXIT CODE: 134
=   CLEANING UP REMAINING PROCESSES
=   YOU CAN IGNORE THE BELOW CLEANUP MESSAGES
YOUR APPLICATION TERMINATED WITH THE EXIT STRING: Aborted (signal 6)
This typically refers to a problem with your application.

stderr:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfilerOe78m
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfileFVmVkd
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfileaZeKmh
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfilebIEv37
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfileCNZeC4
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfile7OiM2S
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfilebEjZDY
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Cannot open cache file tmpfile8rjtuN
test_scan_casscf-11e12o_cc-pvdz_220121-122419.inp
test_scan_casscf-11e12o_cc-pvdz_220121-122419.out

Peterson, Kirk

Jan 22, 2022, 2:08:03 AM1/22/22
to Alexandre Voute, molpro-user

Hi,

you're not running out of disk space are you?  I only ask since I note your scratch directory is set to just /tmp

regards,

-Kirk

Alexandre Voute

Jan 25, 2022, 1:38:46 PM1/25/22
to molpro-user
Dear Kirk,
Thank you for your answer. It was indeed helpful to mention that the scratch directory here is the default /tmp.
After checking how our filesystem is organized in the computer we are using (with df -h and df-h /tmp), it turns out that the files in the /tmp directory are not stored in the largest data storage disk but in some other one which is smaller and has less available space.
I now run molpro -d /path/to/proper/location -W /path/to/proper/location -I /path/to/proper/location (I created a .molprorc file in my home directory for simplicity). With this, the program does not complain anymore and the scan successfully manages to terminate properly.
Thank you!
Best regards,
Alex

Peterson, Kirk