Constraining a dihedral angle to retain it's current value during optimization

liz.deco...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2021, 3:46:24 PM8/23/21
to molpro-user
Hello all,

I can't tell if I'm encountering a bug, or just setting up my mpr file wrong. I'd like to optimize a structure while holding a specific dihedral angle constant.

My (very simplified, with small basis sets for speed) input looks like:

``` memory,1685,M,GA=0,M
 gdirect
 basis=vdz
 symmetry,nosym
 orient,noorient
 geomtyp=xyz
 geometry={
 12
 Cartesian coordinates in Angstrom units
 C1 0.00043300 0.10763800 1.94260700
 N2 -0.00131100 0.63644800 0.60164800
 C3 -0.00009200 -0.17607200 -0.48074500
 O4 -0.00031400 -1.38426900 -0.38407700
 C5 0.00017800 0.52829600 -1.82029800
 H6 -0.87211100 -0.51959200 2.12602300
 H7 -0.01679700 0.93565600 2.64723500
 H8 0.88974500 -0.49260700 2.13696400
 H9 0.00446000 1.63077300 0.47296500
 H10 0.00563100 1.61602700 -1.75576300
 H11 -0.87880300 0.22293200 -2.38652100
 H12 0.87309500 0.21405900 -2.39091500
 }
 core,5
 set,charge=0
 {df-hf,accu=15,maxit=50,use_disk}
 {df-mp2}
 {optg,method=slrf,maxit=100,root=1,savexyz=run.xyz
 hessian,model=vdw
 prim,d1,dihedral,atoms=[1,2,3,4]
 fix,d1
 }```

The job gets as far as finishing the df-mp2 calculation, then hangs.

Is this the correct way to specify "please optimize my structure while holding this dihedral constant"? (If it is, I'll gather more info and file a proper bug report. But I'm hoping that the issue is in my input formatting, not in the code).

dolg...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2021, 2:53:06 AM8/24/21
to molpro-user
Hi,

you might have used:
constraint,0.158,deg,dihedral,atoms=[C1,N2,C3,O4]
instead of
prim,d1,dihedral,atoms=[1,2,3,4]
 fix,d1

Best,