MOle Release - 0.003

1 view

DeRailed

Jun 13, 2007, 3:39:47 AM6/13/07
to MOle Plugin
All,

We have updated the MOle plugin to include a few more bells and
whistles:

- User ip address - Now you can not only see what your users are
doing with your application but also track their point of origin.

- Browser tracking - you will be able to see what kind of browsers
are hitting your site, so you can provide better support and assess
usability.

- Ability to mole several apps using the same database. In its first
incarnation, the MOle only worked for one app, one database. Their
have been some issue were folks wanted to reuse an existing db across
several apps. You can now namespace the mole_features by adding the
following line to your env file:

Moleable::MOLEABLE_APP_NAME = "fred"

- Simpler configuration - We have defaulted most of the const
definitions, you had to specify in your env. So you no longer will
need to declare these constants in your env.rb file. You can still
override any of the behavior if you want to customize your env (See
README). Also you can now declare your application is moleable by
simply adding the following line in your application.rb

Moleable::init

- IMPORTANT: The mole schema is changing in this release. We have
tried to provide and simple migration script to update your existing
db.

rake mole:upgrade

This script will attempt to update the mole_features/mole_logs
tables to the new schema. This is not bullet proof though, so if you
are still in an experimental stage with the mole, we recommend
dropping the existing tables and starting from scratch.

So to recap...

1) Uninstall the previous version if any

2) ruby script/plugin install svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/liquidrail/plugins/mole/trunk

3) In your application.rb add the following line:

Moleable::init

4) That's it !!

NOTE: We have updated the Beast application with the latest bells
and whistles so check it out...

It's very possible that their will be a few kinks to adjust in the
next few days. Please assist us cleaning these up.

Thank you all again for your support, we hope you'll find these
changes useful...

DeRailed

Jun 13, 2007, 10:42:21 AM6/13/07
to MOle Plugin
After noodling on this release for most of the nite, I had a change of
heart on the initialization of the MOle.

So a little addendum to the MOle initialization...

You should no longer user the const vars in the enviroment.rb file.

Now you can do it all from one call in the application.rb ie

Moleable::init

This call takes a hash of options, you wish to override.
For instance to turn the MOle off completely you would initiate as
follows:

Moleable::init( :moleable => false )

or to set the default perf treshold to 10 secs:

Moleable::init( :max_perf_time => 10 )

Sorry for the late notice !!