Are Environmental Toxins Causing Your Child's ADD?

1 view

Moldleg333

Dec 17, 2009, 10:41:39 PM12/17/09
to Toxic Indoor Mold Central
Brain In The News Newsletter by Dr. Daniel Amen. To ensure delivery,
please

add newsl...@amenclinics.com to your address book or whitelist.
Having

trouble viewing this email? [1]View it online. You can also [2]
update your

subscription preferences.

[3]Blog RSS [4]Facebook [5]Twitter

Links:

1.
http://www.amenclinics.com/newsletter/article/?articleID=236&utm_source=Brain+In+The+News&utm_campaign=04e81d93f4-BITN%2C+December+15%2C+2009&utm_medium=email

2.

3.
http://feeds2.feedburner.com/AmenClinics?utm_source=Brain+In+The+News&utm_campaign=04e81d93f4-BITN%2C+December+15%2C+2009&utm_medium=email

4.
http://www.facebook.com/drdanielamen?utm_source=Brain+In+The+News&utm_campaign=04e81d93f4-BITN%2C+December+15%2C+2009&utm_medium=email

5.
http://twitter.com/docamen?utm_source=Brain+In+The+News&utm_campaign=04e81d93f4-BITN%2C+December+15%2C+2009&utm_medium=email

[6]Are Environmental Toxins Causing Your Child's ADD?

Links:

6.
http://www.amenclinics.com/newsletter/article/?articleID=236&utm_source=Brain+In+The+News&utm_campaign=04e81d93f4-BITN%2C+December+15%2C+2009&utm_medium=email

On any given day, you and your child probably come in contact with
dozens of

products that contain phthalates. Toys, shower curtains, food
containers,

cleaning materials, product packaging ? they all contain
phthalates, which

are suspected of causing numerous negative health effects.

A new study from Korean researchers has now discovered a link
between

exposure to phthalates and ADD in school-age children. Writing in
the

journal _Biological Psychiatry_, the team reported that children
with higher

concentrations of phthalate metabolites found in the urine
experienced more

severe ADD symptoms.

The notion that environmental triggers may make ADD symptoms worse
is

completely in line with what I have witnessed in my own practice.
After

working with thousands of children and teens with ADD, I have found
that

many environmental toxins impact ADD symptoms.

Another new study in the online edition of _Pediatrics_ lends
addition

support to this theory. Researchers from the Cincinnati Children?s
Hospital

Medical Center found that exposure to two environmental toxins ?
tobacco

smoke and lead ? significantly increases the risk for developing
ADD. The

study showed that:

Children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy were 2.4 times as
likely to

have ADD.

Children with the highest levels of lead in their blood had 2.3
times the

risk.

Children with both prenatal exposure to smoke and high levels of
lead in

childhood were 8.1 times more likely to have ADD.

The research team estimated that eliminating prenatal exposure to
smoke

could reduce the incidence of ADD by as much as 38 percent in
children ages

eight to 15. In this same age group, the incidence of ADD could be
reduced

by about 25 percent if there was no exposure to lead during
childhood.

In my book, _Healing ADD_, I detail many other environmental toxins
that

make ADD symptoms worse, and I offer a host of natural
interventions to help

reduce or even eliminate symptoms.

To Your Brain Health,

Daniel

Daniel G. Amen, MD

CEO, Amen Clinics, Inc.

Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association