Firefox 3.6a1pre

P. Buescher

Apr 26, 2009, 2:07:44 AM4/26/09
to moji
Hi!

I've installed Firefox 3.6a1pre (Minefield) on ubuntu jaunty lately.
After changing the Max Version in the install.rdf of the xpi to 3.6.*,
I am now able to run it with the new firefox. I've tested it a bit and
haven't encountered any problems so far.
If there are (enough) other users who can verify this, I think you
could think about raising the MaxVersion in the official version.
I'll report back, if I encounter any problems!

Pascal

For those who want to test it:
Disclaimer: Use at your own risk. Firefox 3.6a1pre is not even pre-
release software, so don't expect anything guaranteed. Naturally, the
same goes for the moji version you modifiy by yourself. Maybe
everything works fine (as it does for me), but maybe it does not.
Maybe the software doesn't work, maybe you will lose your firefox
settings or even data that has nothing to do with firefox. Therefore,
you should think twice about trying this on computers you need for
your work, your studies or any other purpose you consider important.
Having said that, here's what I've done.
Download the moji packages you need. open the first package with an
archive manager and open the install.rdf you find there with a text
editor. There you'll find a section looking like this:

<!-- Firefox -->

<em:targetApplication>

<Description>

<em:id>{ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384}</em:id>

<em:minVersion>1.0</em:minVersion>

<em:maxVersion>3.0.*</em:maxVersion>

</Description>

change 3.0.* to 3.6.* and put the new install.rdf into the xpi
archive. Then drag the modified xpi on Firefox. You should repeat this
for all moji packages. After that you should be done.