Mojave Makers Proposal - 8-bit Microprocessor Workshop & Zeta Single Board Computer Build

Andrew Bingham

Dec 19, 2013, 3:06:32 PM12/19/13
to mojave...@googlegroups.com, Susan Clipperton, Scott Small
Hello Makers,

As some of you may be aware, I recently built a Zeta SBC (http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/44366173/Zeta%20SBC), a modern Z80 single board computer.  I'm still working on the ParPortProp add-on (http://n8vem-sbc.pbworks.com/w/page/52472959/ParPortProp) that adds keyboard/monitor support - right now I am talking to my board via a serial terminal.

Now that I have one of my own up and running, I thought that maybe others would be interested in doing this as a group.

What I am proposing is a short (~1-2 hours) lecture/overview of the history of "microcomputers" (such a quant term with today's cell phones), the operation of the Z80 microprocessor, and the design of the Zeta SBC, and then a group build of a set of Zeta's over the course of 3-4 evenings of work.

Everything on the Zeta is through-hole-soldered.  I estimate someone with little prior soldering skill could complete one in approximately 6-8 hours.  I made some mistakes that cost me quite a bit of time removing and re-soldering parts (which I am really good at now!) and mine took around 8 hours.

The Zeta PCBs cost $20 and the set of parts from Mouser Electronics to build the board cost $112.  A USB->Serial adapter and null modem cable to talk to the Zeta as a serial terminal are an additional $17.  So the total cost of a "kit" would be around $150.

I found this build to be an interesting way to inform myself about the history of the computers we use today, and the design of a basic system.  The 8080/Z80 instruction sets led directly to the 8086 which still forms the basis of all our desktop PCs.

If we can get enough people interested, I can do a group buy of PCBs which will take around 3 weeks to arrive.  So if I order in early January I would expect to have the presentation and materials to start sometime in early February.

Andrew

Christopher Birkinbine

Dec 19, 2013, 6:47:49 PM12/19/13
to mojave...@googlegroups.com, Susan Clipperton, Scott Small
I would be interested in this if it was pushed out a little further past "Holiday Recovery" or potentially in a second running later in the year. Great idea Andrew, I hope it get's done regardless of when!

Ethan Chew

Dec 27, 2013, 12:41:14 AM12/27/13
to mojave...@googlegroups.com, Susan Clipperton, Scott Small
I also put in my interest in the class.  Looking forward.  1+1 = 10

           - Ethan

Scott Nietfeld

Jan 3, 2014, 1:08:41 PM1/3/14
to mojave...@googlegroups.com, Susan Clipperton, Scott Small
I would be interested in this as well.

Unrelated, it might be an interesting program to get a dozen old computers (possibly from a school auction somewhere), and have students disassemble them, reassemble them, and see if they still boot. I suspect most kids have never cracked the case on a computer, and not knowing how to swap out a hard drive/memory/video card almost ensures that you'll be paying someone $40/hr to do it in the future. Basic IT is also one of the easiest routes to a mid-grade salary, and often acts as a gateway job for more technical employment. It's also more of a basic living skill at this point, on par with car maintenance.

Brandon Barney

Jan 3, 2014, 1:12:30 PM1/3/14
to mojave...@googlegroups.com, Susan Clipperton, Scott Small
Scott, I learned most of what I know about computers because when I
was 9 I worked for my great uncles non-profit where we solicited
computers from schools and businesses and upgraded them and sold them
to low-income people for the cost of the upgrades with discounted/free
service provided by me and a team of me and my geeky friends. When he
died his wife closed all of his business and non-profit activities and
we all went off in tangential directions, but I would love to help
with this.

Andrew Bingham

Jan 3, 2014, 1:26:15 PM1/3/14
to mojave...@googlegroups.com
We did the "disassemble, reassemble, see if it still boots" thing in a freshmen class in college.

I made it most of the way through doing mine blindfolded.

Andrew