Poison Ivy, Casual Encounters... and the music that rocked Moira

Frederick Noronha

Jul 13, 2020, 12:32:57 PM7/13/20
to Moira-Net
Collated this information from Moira-Net on Fb:

Most of the members of Poison Ivy, the all-girls band formed by Salazar De Sa, were from Moira.  Donna on the lead guitar, and her sister ...  on the keyboards, were from Bambordem; Cecelia Tavares on the drums was from Povacao; and Virginia D'Souza, popularly called Cookie, the daughter of Lawrence and Arselia, from Raint, was the crooner.  The all-girls band was a sensation in the late nineties.  --From "The Melody Makers of Moira" by Glenis Maria Mendonca and Jeffrey D'Souza in Moira: Souvenir of the Centenary of the Associacao Academica de Moira.  unpaginated.

Comment: Oliveta D'Souza was part of Poison Ivy too.

Linda Bothelo added:  It was really interesting to read about Poison Ivy, the All Girls Band.  Salazar D'Sa whose brainchild the band was, is talented and innovative.  Donna Lobo, Della Lobo and Delilah Lobo were all rounders and I really admired them.  Thanks for posting the information about this Band.It helps to brush up memories of the yesteryears.  As Renuca Veloso Williams has remarked there was no one called Diana in the Lobo family .

Jeffrey D'Souza wrote: There were two more bands of Salazar D'Sa.  Brass Band, A jazz band which performed for an all Goa band competition with artist D C Braganza, trombone, sax, Ambrosio Guirim, Salazar Keyboard, Xavier de Moira, drums, and me on bass ....

Cecilia Tavares adds that her husband Romi Tavares also was an ace drummer, and played for Synchronisers Later Dee Bees .....and often performed at Royals in Calangute.

Wendy added: There were two girl bands in Moira, both managed by Salazar.  I was part of band no.  2, Casual Encounters.  Except for Olivetta, the rest of us were all from Moira.  We had an INCREDIBLE drummer from Raint with such great energy levels, whose name was Vinita.  The other members were Virginia (Cookie), Delilah, Rowena, Cynthia, Olivetta and myself.  The band rose to fame overnight soon after the Moira feast dance.  I still remember people jumped out off their chairs when they heard us perform Venus by Shocking Blues.  We then went on to perform for beat shows, the New year ball in Panjim, The Canacona feast etc.  Sadly it was short-lived but absolutely jam-packed with fun.  Truly the best days of my life.  These are clippings from a newspaper dated December 93....

--
FN* फ्रेड्रिक नोरोन्या * فريدريك نورونيا‎ +91-9822122436