is mogilefs in active development today?

Wesley Peng

Nov 15, 2019, 11:39:45 AM11/15/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
We did use this service, it works just well.
Is this project still in active development?
Is the C plugin for nginx still available?

Thanks.

Eric Wong

Nov 17, 2019, 7:50:52 PM11/17/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
Wesley Peng <wes...@myrambler.ru> wrote:
> We did use this service, it works just well.

Good to know :)

> Is this project still in active development?

Maintenance mode, I guess. I'm still around for bugfixes and
such if I have free time, and maybe dormando, too. But I don't
see an urgent need for new features.

When I see a project in "active development", it can be
offputting to me because of backwards incompatibilities and
breakages. Perl5 culture seems pretty good about preserving
compatibility, though; can't say that about Ruby, so I'm slowly
replacing all my Ruby with Perl5 or C...

> Is the C plugin for nginx still available?

Probably. Once something is on the Internet there's a good
chance it'll be available forever.
(I don't use nginx anymore, though)

Wesley Peng

Nov 17, 2019, 8:42:07 PM11/17/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear that. Thanks for letting me know.

Regards

--

---

okwap

Nov 18, 2019, 12:56:59 AM11/18/19
to mogile

On Monday, November 18, 2019 at 8:50:52 AM UTC+8, Eric Wong wrote:
Wesley Peng <wes...@myrambler.ru> wrote:
> We did use this service, it works just well.

Good to know :)

> Is this project still in active development?

Maintenance mode, I guess.  I'm still around for bugfixes and
such if I have free time, and maybe dormando, too.  But I don't
see an urgent need for new features.

When I see a project in "active development", it can be
offputting to me because of backwards incompatibilities and
breakages.  Perl5 culture seems pretty good about preserving
compatibility, though; can't say that about Ruby, so I'm slowly
replacing all my Ruby with Perl5 or C...

BRADFITZ/Sys-Syscall is a problem for many years :(

Eric Wong

Nov 18, 2019, 4:34:47 PM11/18/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
okwap <peter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> BRADFITZ/Sys-Syscall is a problem for many years :(

Oh, I'm not sure if anybody on this list can fix it :<

Debian does a good job maintaining it, but it can be a pain for
non-Debian users..

Fwiw, Danga::Socket 1.62 was just released the other week,
so maybe there's other people on that can make releases on CPAN
(I have no perms)

Wesley Peng

Nov 19, 2019, 8:21:08 AM11/19/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
Eric Wong wrote:
> Oh, I'm not sure if anybody on this list can fix it :<
>
> Debian does a good job maintaining it, but it can be a pain for
> non-Debian users..

Eric,

Would you please continue to develop/maintain the perl version MogileFS
and its libraries?
We would be much appreciated if there is someone take duty for this
product development. Thanks.

regards

Eric Wong

Nov 19, 2019, 10:32:37 PM11/19/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
Wesley Peng <wes...@myrambler.ru> wrote:
> Eric Wong wrote:
> > Oh, I'm not sure if anybody on this list can fix it :<
> >
> > Debian does a good job maintaining it, but it can be a pain for
> > non-Debian users..
>
> Eric,
>
> Would you please continue to develop/maintain the perl version MogileFS and
> its libraries?

I've done everything I can do as far as maintenance goes. I've
never been granted any permissions to upload any existing
packages CPAN, but I can work with Debian maintainers to fix
problems in Debian packages...

> We would be much appreciated if there is someone take duty for this product
> development. Thanks.

If you want new features from me, you'll have to pay for them.
I am available for Open Source contract work on a limited basis
and we can discuss off-list. My rates are high (even if my
mindset will always be that of a poor person on old HW). Keep
in mind there's no amount of money anybody can pay me to be on
GitHub (or any social media) or deal with JS/GUIs.

Maybe dormando is available, too.

Wesley Peng

Nov 20, 2019, 3:42:22 AM11/20/19
to mog...@googlegroups.com
thank you Eric. I may contact you by PM for new features request.