Mogade Has Stopped Accepting New Accounts and Games

Karl Seguin

Oct 12, 2012, 10:12:23 AM10/12/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
I've decided to block new accounts and games from being created on Mogade. Existing games will continue to function as-is and I'll continue to provide any necessary support.

It's been a wonderful experience and a great project. Furthermore, the feedback and interaction I've had with many of you has been really rewarding. Nonetheless, things change. My focus is elsewhere. Microsoft continues to disappoint. It's a saturated market.

I want to say that it wasn't an easy decision, but honestly, it really feels like the right thing to do. My only hesitation is that some of you might feel let down. I'm sorry. All I can say is that if you're using mogade.com today, nothing changes. However, I wouldn't blame anyone if they switched platform, and if there's anything I can do to help that transition, please let me know.

Karl

Gnomic

Oct 12, 2012, 12:26:59 PM10/12/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Karl,

I'm very sorry and also disappointed to hear this. I understand you have your reasons, and I can't fault the amazing effort and support you've shown the community over the time. The generosity to run a completely free service was astounding. Even now you have pledged to support existing games. It just makes me wonder, why block new games but support existing ones? I can only assume you are worried that as more new games are added, the hosting costs will increase? By blocking new games now the existing set of games will not be compromised by new games increasing costs. It's sad for me as I truly love the platform. Whilst I have moved over to Android and iOS, I was planning to continue using Mogade to track stats and do leaderboards and assets. Now this is just not an option. I suppose I (or someone!) could take the site source and provide hosting. I'd be interested to know what the cost of keeping Mogade running is.

Regards, and thank you.

Aranda

Suzanne

Oct 12, 2012, 12:33:04 PM10/12/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Karl - Thanks for continuing to provide support for existing games. I'm also frustrated and disappointed with Microsoft and the Windows Phone market. While I'm not doing much new phone development, I have several educational games that use Mogade for their leaderboards. And I'm glad I can continue to keep those games active.

Thanks again for your incredible generosity running this service. As a hobbyist developer building educational games in my free time, I wouldn't have been able to provide leaderboards without a service like Mogade. Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Suzanne

Mike

Oct 12, 2012, 6:59:46 PM10/12/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Karl - Appreciate all that you've done for us, without this service our game would not be what it is today. I wish you all the best for the future!

Mike

GlowPuff

Oct 13, 2012, 5:24:24 AM10/13/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl, I want to personally say thank you, thank you, and thank you
for providing this service and allowing me to add even more value to my
games. I'm sorry to see it go. As you said, it was a nice ride while
it lasted. You helped a lot of people, and we are thankful. I wish you
the best in your future projects.

Codheadz Games

Oct 13, 2012, 9:32:12 AM10/13/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Just want to say thank you for providing this service and I'm very sorry to see it go.  I found mogade so easy to add to my projects and its added such value to my games. Good luck in the future.

Karl Seguin

Oct 13, 2012, 10:25:35 AM10/13/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Thanks all for the kind words.

The reason to stop accepting new games/apps is more about setting the right expectations than about money. Developers building new games deserve a platform that'll grow with them and be receptive to their feedback. Mogade's goal is now to support existing games with the existing features and nothing more.

Karl

Ansar Mubarak

Oct 13, 2012, 11:41:05 AM10/13/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Hi Karl, I've using Mogade for two of my games and it has been a wonderful experience overall. Thank you very much for all your support.

Jin

Oct 14, 2012, 6:56:41 PM10/14/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all your hard work with Mogade Karl! I've been using Mogade for almost 2 years and the amount of work and dedication you put to this project has been exceptional!

Best of luck on your future endeavors!

Jin

Jim Clinton

Oct 14, 2012, 7:35:52 PM10/14/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com

Karl,

Thank you very much for giving the Windows Phone thing a go. I don’t think it has turned out like any of us expected but at least we tried. Your service has been a great help to me and the others using it and it will be missed. It is still possible for Microsoft to turn things around with Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 but I am starting to doubt it.

Again thank you very much.

Jim

Montie

Oct 17, 2012, 8:08:06 PM10/17/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
 Wow...

 I must echo the thanks, but I'm sort of bummed also.  After several months of work, I have an app ready to go, developed with the demo account, logged on to set up it's leaderboard today and find that I've missed the opportunity by 5 days :(

That is truely heart breaking...

I'll end offering thanks one more time. We all appreciate your efforts very much.

Good luck with your future endevours.
Montie

Pat

Oct 18, 2012, 5:04:35 AM10/18/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Karl,

I also want to thank you for offering this service and supporting existing games.
Do you have a timeline when this support will end ?
I have an existing account but didn't publish my game so far. So perhaps this is right time to switch to another leaderboard solution?!
I really like your solution because it's easy to integrate and focus on the basic functions....

Do you have plans to host you solution elsewhere (there are already requests in this thread).

But anyway - thx for you engagement!

Greetings
Pat

Karl Seguin

Oct 23, 2012, 7:53:48 AM10/23/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Technically, the TOS states that mogade can be shut down with 2 months notice.

In reality, I plan on keeping mogade running for another year, and re-evaluate things at that point.

Not really interested in keeping mogade running elsewhere...but I am happy to promote any good alternatives.

Karl

Robin Knip

Nov 11, 2012, 4:22:55 PM11/11/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
I just today released my app using Mogade and just today found out that this services is terminating. Mogade is opensource, so how difficult would it be to get my own "Mogade" server running (just for my own app)?

Karl Seguin

Nov 12, 2012, 10:19:03 AM11/12/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
It's a RoR with MongoDB and Redis app. If you know those, it shouldn't be too bad.

Note that if you're game is already live, I plan to keep Mogade around for at least a year as-is and fix any serious issues that come up...and whatever I decided to do then will proceed a generous warning..I understand why you might still want to move off, but I hope you don't feel too rushed.

I think looking at other options might be people's best bet. Someone said Scoreloops recently added a WP SDK?

Karl

Allen Coleman

Nov 12, 2012, 4:20:26 PM11/12/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Karl for what you have done and sad to see this wonderful service go away but it has been a true pleasure.

God Bless.

Pinky2012

Nov 17, 2012, 4:15:36 PM11/17/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
I didn't know Ror, MongoDB or Redis before today (actually never heard those terms before). However I did mange to get the mogade server up and running on my own server (ubuntu 12.04). I'm not using the built in Twitter, Facebook and storage functionality, but leaderboards and achievements are working quite well. Thanks for making this opensource.

I'm now going to test my own setup and after that migrate my app off your system (I do feel rushed a bit, because at this moment the amount of users is still limited, the longer I wait the more of my users will be annoyed their scores are gone).

Rgds. Robin

javadude

Dec 6, 2012, 3:00:29 PM12/6/12
to moga...@googlegroups.com
So sad to learn of this.  Quite a few game services had stopped accepting new accounts.  Does anyone know of a similar service to Mogade?  Please share.  Thanks much.
Message has been deleted

Pinky2012

Jan 6, 2013, 10:07:03 AM1/6/13
to moga...@googlegroups.com
Thusfar I've been editing the Mogade files using a simple texteditor, but especially for the views this is quite a lot of work. Did you use an external editor, IDE for developing Mogade, and if so which one (I'm looking to see if I can expand the system to add support for challenges?

Karl Seguin

Jan 8, 2013, 8:39:07 AM1/8/13
to moga...@googlegroups.com
I only use sublime text 2 or textmate ...nothing fancier. I heard RubyMine is good if you prefer a more complete IDE.

Karl