How to run elastic analysis on Glasgow development server?

Ali Asgher Zaki

Jun 5, 2017, 6:40:26 AM6/5/17
to mofem Group
How to run elastic analysis on Glasgow development server?

Lukasz Kaczmraczyk

Jun 5, 2017, 7:49:09 AM6/5/17
to mofem Group
Hello Ali,

It can take some time, one it is finish,
cd user_modules/basic_finite_elements/elasticity/
mpirun
-np 2 ./elasticity -my_file LShape.h5m -ksp_type gmres -pc_type lu -pc_factor_mat_solver_package mumps -ksp_monitor -my_order 2
This solves simple problem of bending of L-shape beam.

As result of analysis you have file out.h5m, now you can convert that file to VTK format,
mbconvert out.h5m out.vtk
next run preview,
paraview --data=out.vtk
and you can see results.

Options,
  • -np 2 is a number of processors, problem is small, so is only 2. You can use up to 8 in extreme cases up to 16
  • -my_file LShape.h5m is a name of mesh file
  • -my_order 2 is approximation order, it controls quality of solution
  • -ksp_type gmres -pc_type lu -pc_factor_mat_solver_package mumps -ksp_monitor this setup direct solver.

yufeng he

Sep 1, 2020, 11:09:20 PM9/1/20
to MoFEM Q&A
How to run simple elastic analysis? I  entered the following command :
mpirun -np 2 ./simple_elasticity -file_name simple_elasticity.h5m -my_order 2

ERROR
[1]MOAB ERROR: ReadHDF5 Failure: Attempt reading an empty dataset on proc 1!
[1]MOAB ERROR: read_set_data() line 2469 in src/io/ReadHDF5.cpp

Karol Lewandowski

Sep 1, 2020, 11:14:35 PM9/1/20
to MoFEM Q&A
Don't use mpirun with simple_elasticity. It is just for tutorials. If you want to solve some particular linear elastic problem use elasticity module (where mpirun will work)