Difference between SPATIAL_POSITION, MESH_NODE_POSITIONS and coord

zahur.ullah1

Jun 29, 2017, 7:49:57 AM6/29/17
to mofem...@googlegroups.com
What is the difference between  SPATIAL_POSITION, MESH_NODE_POSITIONS and coords in the context of large deformation?

And then how to calculate DISPLACEMENT from these fields?

Lukasz Kaczmraczyk

Jun 29, 2017, 10:14:55 AM6/29/17
to mofem Group
Zahur,

- Each node in MoAB mesh has coordinates. It consist initial geometry created in pre-processor and used by all MoAB functions.
- Sometimes we like to distinguish between geometry on mesh and reference geometry, to that we using MESH_NODE_POSITIONS, which are given as a MoFEM field. That allows to store higher order geometry with smooth surfaces.
- If  MESH_NODE_POSITIONS is present, reference configuration is given by this field otherwise coords on MoAB entities are used.
- SPATIAL_POSITION field is usually used to describe current configuration.

In principle you can attach any name to field describing current and reference configuration. MESH_NODE_POSITIONS is not the best name, and in future we should name that field MATERIAL_POISTIONS.

In preview to see results correctly, you need to calculate
1) W = MESH_NODE_POSITIONS-coords
2) Wrap By Vector using W
3) U = SPATIAL_POSITION-MESH_NODE_POSITIONS
4) Wrap By Vector using U