A bunch of CDs of shows in .shn format

John

Jun 21, 2014, 12:28:44 AM6/21/14
to mo...@googlegroups.com
Before live streaming, archive.org, BitTorrent and .flac but after cassette trading through snail mail I was trading CDs with shows encoded in .shn (shorten) format. I have quite a lot that I am wondering what to do with since hard disks and cloud backups are pretty cheap so there is no need to keep the CDs. I want to be able to still listen to these shows but I am not sure how to approach the conversion and storage. These may or may or may not be up on archive.org and I suppose some day I may have the time to upload those not available.

I primarily use Macs but have Windows machines. I listen through iTunes, IPods, iPhones.

What program should I use?
Which approach should I take.?
Convert from .shn to .flac to .aac?
Convert from .shn to .wav then to .aac and .flac?
Another approach?
Keep the boxes of CDs and do nothing as it all sounds like a big pain in the a$$?

I thought some of the tapers and traders from those days might still be paying attention here and could advise.

~John

Volker Skrzeba

Jun 23, 2014, 7:17:10 AM6/23/14
to John, mo...@googlegroups.com

Hi i did the same thing a while back for my Phish Collection

>What program should I use?

That‘s for windows

Eac for ripping   , Traders little helper for Converting

Convert from .shn to .flac to .aac?

I did SHN to Flac  you could use Itunes for converting to aac but i think that take longer

Convert from .shn to .wav then to .aac and .flac?

I skip the to wav , traders little helper can do shn > Flac and i can hear no difference that there was no wav in it

Another approach?
Keep the boxes of CDs and do nothing as it all sounds like a big pain in the a$$?

If you have the space you can still do that I still have my moe collection up until 2006 on CDs in Boxes

From 2007 one I keep either the Flac or mp3 on harddrives

I thought some of the tapers and traders from those days might still be paying attention here and could advise.

hope that helps a bit

Volker

~John

to post:
mo...@googlegroups.com // to unsub: moe-l+un...@googlegroups.com // for options: http://groups.google.com/group/moe-l?hl=en

---

John Hannon

Jun 23, 2014, 8:44:03 AM6/23/14
to Volker Skrzeba, John, <moe-l@googlegroups.com>
dbpoweramp is a good piece of software for converting also. you may be able to convert right of off the cars from shn to your format of choice (mp3, flac, AAC)