SSL modifications in include file

Andrew Lambert

Dec 17, 2021, 3:02:54 PM12/17/21
to modwsgi
Hello,

I am using mod_wsgi-express in a python conda environment to serve a Flask API app. My app has been functioning correctly for a few months now until recently. I had to make a change to my conda environment, but had to do it offline. Ultimately, this required a new environment with a new mod_wsgi installation. I believe the new mod_wsgi installation is a newer version because I could not find the old version I was using. The API still was working in this new environment until the next morning.

I have been using an include file to modify the SSL configuration ever since I started using mod_wsgi to serve the app. This file is just three lines:

SSLProtocol all -SSLv2 -SSLv3 -TLSv1 -TLSv1.1
SSLCipherSuite ALL:!RC4:!aNULL
SSLHonorCipherOrder on

Upon running mod_wsgi-express start-server with the include file, I now receive a Syntax error:

AH00526: Syntax error on line 1 of <path/to/ssl.conf>:
Invalid command 'SSLProtocol', perhaps misspelled or defined by a module not included in the server configuration

Any ideas on why this would suddenly happen? It even worked a few hours after the new installation. I assume it must have something to do with the new installation/updated version but I cannot seem to figure out what this means.

Thanks,
Andy

Graham Dumpleton

Dec 17, 2021, 3:10:56 PM12/17/21
to mod...@googlegroups.com
An error like that usually indicates mod_ssl isn't loaded into Apache.

The other possibility is that you have used some strange unicode character in the text somewhere but nothing obvious there.