Which do you recommend for just starting out?

Ed Trumbull

Jul 18, 2022, 4:59:30 PMJul 18
to modwsgi
I'm just starting to look into mod_wsgi on my system running Lubuntu 22.04. This is a new install, so there's no need to worry about legacy processes.

I plan to use pip install to load mod_wsgi. It seems to me that I have two options:
     first install an instance of Apache from the distro and then install mod_wsgi
     second, install mod_wsgi-standalone which will bring along its own apache instance

Are there significant advantages to choose between the two? I'm guessing that mod_wsgi-standalone might have a better chance of having both apache and mod_wsgi agree with each other, and am inclined to go that way. Which do you recommend? Why?

Graham Dumpleton

Jul 18, 2022, 5:02:33 PMJul 18
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Only use mod_wsgi-standalone as a last resort as updating of which Apache version is used by it is not done often so it isn't usually the latest Apache version and thus wouldn't have latest Apache security fixes.

So if installing Apache (with dev package) is simple enough on your Linux distro, rely on it instead of mod_wsgi-standalone is the better option.

Ed Trumbull

Jul 19, 2022, 10:35:04 AMJul 19
to modwsgi
Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to know.