DB as a Modin Backend

Ali Panahi

Sep 16, 2021, 3:43:57 PM9/16/21
to modin-dev
Hi Modin team!

I'm wondering if there are any facilities to use a database directly as a backend. One idea is to convert the low-level algebra to SQL and then use the SQL to retrieve the results from the DB. Any suggestions on how this could be achieved are greatly appreciated.

If this could be done generically, then we might be able to integrate many other SQL-based (distributed) database systems as a backend for free.

Best,
Ali

Devin Petersohn

Sep 16, 2021, 5:28:43 PM9/16/21
to Ali Panahi, modin-dev
Hi Ali,

Thanks for reaching out! We have SQL database support (through Calcite) with OmnisciDB here: https://github.com/modin-project/modin/tree/master/modin/experimental/engines/omnisci_on_native/frame. Happy to explore this further with more specifics.

What SQL database are you planning on integrating?

Devin

Ali Panahi

Sep 16, 2021, 9:40:13 PM9/16/21
to Devin Petersohn, modin-dev
Thanks, Devin.

The Calcite integration would be helpful. I was thinking of integrating with Postgres SQL and Cassandra. I see both have Calcite adapters.

Ali
--
Ali Panahi