Is there a way to create custom dataframe methods

Paul Anzel

Jan 4, 2020, 10:24:27 PM1/4/20
to modi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I wanted to write and ask y'all if Modin has a way for people to create their own dataframe methods (see https://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/stable/development/extending.html#extending-pandas). I'm trying to see if I can get the PyJanitor project (https://pyjanitor.readthedocs.io/) to work with modin, but we'd need to create something similar to pandas_flavor (https://pypi.org/project/pandas-flavor/) to get things to work.

Thanks!
Paul

Devin Petersohn

Jan 4, 2020, 10:31:13 PM1/4/20
to Paul Anzel, modin-dev
Hi Paul,

We do have ways to create dataframe methods, but it's in early stages and still kind of hacky. There's a tutorial here: https://github.com/ucbrise/risecamp/blob/risecamp2019/modin/tutorial_notebooks/exercise_3.ipynb. Let me know if it works for you.

Also, there are more methods to implement, so if there's some pattern or function that won't work with what's available, feel free to open an issue.

Devin