Assistance in calculation of morphometric parameters

Sandip Pantha

May 18, 2024, 1:51:21 AMMay 18
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hello everyone. I am facing an issue determining the threshold value on flow accumulation for calculating stream orders on a watershed.  I  have initially placed a threshold value of 1000 upon reviewing some research papers. Is it correct or what determines the correct threshold pertaining to a particular watershed using a certain DEM? The watershed area is 4700 km2 and will be divided into multiple sub-watersheds.

 Secondly, I am facing an issue with calculating the number of streams pertaining to a particular order.  Using the summarize tool on the attribute table overestimates the number of streams for a higher order stream which can be validated by visual examination over a smaller micro-watershed. Could anyone shed light on these aspects?

Jakab Andras - Gmail

May 21, 2024, 7:45:18 AMMay 21
to mod...@googlegroups.com
I am absolutely not an expert in this matter, but I found useful YouTube videos on this topic on many of the channels dedicated to QGIS.

--
This group was created in 2004 by Mr. C. P. Kumar, Former Scientist 'G', National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee. Please visit his webpage at https://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
---

Jonathan Quiroz

May 21, 2024, 11:43:44 AMMay 21
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Probably you are confusing "real" streams with what you can generate with a DEM. Flow accumulation is just a number that allows you to get more/less rivers because it is a "threshold". You may be getting streams that are not actually streams, but probably they get activated in a wet season. What I'd do is get some kind of river network from a water entity and try to match that if that's your target, if you don't have a target you can have as many rivers as the raster resolution allows