floating point overflow error in MT3DMS

indraja p

Jun 10, 2024, 5:32:13 AMJun 10
to MODFLOW Users Group
Greetings to all
I am new to MODFLOW and need to estimate ground water quality for the study region having Bay of Bengal as the eastern boundary and river as the western boundary. The coastal areas are affected by sea water intrusion. I need to simulate ground water quality under various pumping scenarios using MT3DMS transport model.

For which a basic modflow model was created for the study area and water levels were calibrated and simulated. Now for quality, in addition to that concentration observation wells (TDS value was given), bulk density, species parameters, initial concentration, dispersion, recharge concentration, constant concentration data were given as input and some particles were added in the coastal region. with those parameters the modflow, modpath and mt3dms were run and it shows floating point overflow error in both the steady and transient state conditions for MT3DMS.

what might be wrong either. please suggest me to overcome this error. your guidance is extremely needed for my research work.

with regards.
Screenshot (39).jpg

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 10, 2024, 9:09:49 AMJun 10
to mod...@googlegroups.com
This kind of error may occur if the program is trying to write a number that is too large in magnitude. It is hard to tell what could be the main reason, but it's most likely attributable to an MD3DMS convergence issue and the 32-bit version of both the GUI and the core programs; i.e., I noticed that you are using an extremely old Visual MODFLOW GUI that runs a 32-bit version of the core programs. So, in addition to digging deeper for the source of the problem you may also consider reverting to a newer version of the GUI, potentially Visual MODFLOW Flex.

--
This group was created in 2004 by Mr. C. P. Kumar, Former Scientist 'G', National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee. Please visit his webpage at https://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
---

Luther

Jun 10, 2024, 9:10:23 AMJun 10
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Several things can cause this. If you have a constant concentration source very close to the area where you are applying the recharge (as in, the model top), it can cause this issue. What solution technique are you using for the advection term? The MOC and HMOC can have issues with point overflow errors.

indraja p

Jun 11, 2024, 3:24:37 AMJun 11
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the suggestion sir. I will try using visual modflow flex.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MODFLOW Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/modflow/CAKmr6Mtchz0KwhPoSSqDwaDHeUoHAf49OBxLVb7GmCdwwCgYoA%40mail.gmail.com.

indraja p

Jun 11, 2024, 3:24:48 AMJun 11
to mod...@googlegroups.com
I am using the MOC in advection method. Which method can be used instead of MOC to overcome this issue. Please suggest any other changes that can be made to run MT3DMS successfully.
Thank you so much for the response.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MODFLOW Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/modflow/CAGqPyradKsSBO-2qdJpsxvCdb_wquBX4yh3615G5Cd-FCB%2BoSw%40mail.gmail.com.