telescopic mesh refinement using modflow6

WH Kuu

Jun 5, 2024, 12:46:50 AMJun 5
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi, I wish to do telescopic mesh refinement in modflow 6,
but I cant find any document about it.
Is there any way to do it?

Thank you for your time.

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 5, 2024, 7:40:57 AMJun 5
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Telescopic grid refinement is a procedure used earlier for building local scale models based on boundary conditions taken from a regional model having a much coarser refinement. Those were the " good old" MODFLOW-200/2005 days. The procedure involves, therefore, building two separate models. With MODFLOW6, however, this approach can be replaced by using local refinement over the area of interest within the coarser grid. There is no need for two models therefore. Either the DISV or the DISU gridding approaches can be used for this purpose. Another option would be to again build two separate models and make use of the water mover package of MODFLOW6. The tools/methods for above approaches are well documented in the MODFLOW6 manuals that are freely downloadable from the web.

--
This group was created in 2004 by Mr. C. P. Kumar, Former Scientist 'G', National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee. Please visit his webpage at https://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
---

WH Kuu

Jun 5, 2024, 10:48:19 PMJun 5
to MODFLOW Users Group
Dear Mr. Jakab

Thank you so much for you response!

I really have to do it using tmr.
I will look on water mover package.

Also,
I have found some documents that, tmr can be achieved using ghost node connection package.
It interpolates head/flux from coarse grid to child model.
Would you please kindly let me know your thoughts on this?

document: https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/884895

2024年6月5日水曜日 20:40:57 UTC+9 Jakab Andras - Gmail:

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 6, 2024, 6:44:18 AMJun 6
to mod...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid, we are talking about two different things. I'm not sure that what you call "telescopic grid refinement" is indeed tmr! Please clarify exactly what you are willing to do.

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 6, 2024, 11:26:58 AMJun 6
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Also, in my first reply I mistakenly mentioned the water mover package. I actually meant the GWF Model Exchange.

WH Kuu

Jun 6, 2024, 11:25:26 PMJun 6
to MODFLOW Users Group
Dear Mr Jakab,

I'm really thankful for your response.

I'm sorry ,what I meant was "telescopic mesh refinement".

【What I hope to do is】
I have a regional model and a local model, local model lies within regional model with finer mesh/grid.
I understand that LGR package combines and runs them as 1 model, but I want to run them as 2 independent models.
As of how they relate to each other, local model's initial conditions and perimeter boundary conditions will be taken from regional model's simulation result.

In older versions of modflow there is a package called MODTMR that can achieves that, but it doesn't work in modflow6.
So I am finding a way to do that using modflow6.

2024年6月7日金曜日 0:26:58 UTC+9 Jakab Andras - Gmail:

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 7, 2024, 3:51:50 AMJun 7
to mod...@googlegroups.com
The reason it is not working in MODFLOW6 is that MODTMR was written for MODFLOW-96. MODFLOW6 was completely restructured and there is no longer a need for tmr in that sense. As I mentioned in my previous emails, I either recommend using a DISV grid that is further refined for your area of interest, or if you indeed need two separate models then you can make use of exchanges. The exchange option closely resembles tmr. Please refer to Chapter 8 of the Documentation for the MODFLOW 6
Groundwater Flow Mode that can be downloaded from the USGS website.