Conversion of rainfall input data to binary

Mohammad Sadeq Ahmadi

May 18, 2022, 10:41:08 PM5/18/22
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hello Everyone,

I am using an existing MODFLOW-NWT model. In that model, the rainfall data is binary files. "The binary files are standard MODFLOW-2005 binary files with standard headers and real single-precision floating-point data (dimensioned to NCOL by NROW)." Now, I want to replace their rainfall data with my own rainfall data. But I don't know how to convert them to binary files in order to be compatible with the model. By the way, I have the code to convert binary files to text files but not vice versa. Here is the link to the model:

Richard B. Winston

May 19, 2022, 12:18:32 AM5/19/22
to MODFLOW Google Group
Maybe you don't have to. In the name file you could list your file as a data file instead of a data(binary) file and put your data in a text file.

Mohammad Sadeq Ahmadi

May 19, 2022, 12:55:30 AM5/19/22
to MODFLOW Users Group
Thank you so much for your response. The model is very complex, its time step is daily and the stress period is 50 years, it will take very long to run the model without binary files. If I couldn't find a way to convert them, I will do as you said.

miyuru gunathilake

Sep 14, 2023, 10:28:11 AM9/14/23
to MODFLOW Users Group

Hello Sadeq,

If you could kindly share me a sample rainfall file used to import to MODFLOW?

Thank you