Approach of using PEST estimation run followed by IES run?

Steven Jepsen

Jun 14, 2024, 11:08:29 PMJun 14
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi All,

I read in a PEST workshop handout that it sometimes works well to first calibrate a model in PEST estimation mode, then use the calibrated parameters from that run as preferred values in a follow up PEST++ IES run. Has anyone tried that approach or have any insights into it? This approach may work well (?) for my study where there is very little spatial information about the prior probability distribution of hydraulic parameters. We do have spatial information about fine versus coarse textures, but no spatial information about hydraulic parameters.

Thanks,
Steve