PC hardware specs for Visual MODFLOW and ModelMuse

Sam Kelsey

Jun 12, 2024, 10:45:06 AMJun 12
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking to upgrade a modelling computer and I am wondering if anyone could advise on minimum/optimum hardware specifications for running Visual MODFLOW and ModelMuse?

Best regards,
Samuel Kelsey

Saul Montoya

Jun 12, 2024, 11:25:54 AMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com

I got confused, are you going to work with model muse or visual modflow?

Saul Montoya M.Sc.
Director

Dir: Caminos del Inca 288 dpto 302, Surco, Lima 33  |  Tel.: (511) 4491922  | Cel: Nuevo! (51) 984 115 861  |  Web: gidahatari.com

--
This group was created in 2004 by Mr. C. P. Kumar, Former Scientist 'G', National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee. Please visit his webpage at https://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
---

elnaz bayat

Jun 12, 2024, 11:25:24 PMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
I want to learn modflow with flopy and python. now I am learning to work with modelmuse. Is that important before learning to work with flopy?

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 12, 2024, 11:25:43 PMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Please consult this link for recommendations for Visual MODFLOW Flex, and look for the following topic there: "Do you have any recommendations for system configuration to improve the performance of Flex?" Those recommendations should be valid for other GUIs too. Keep in mind though, that much depends on the size of the model grid, and you may take advantage of multiple cores if you are planning to perform model calibration using parallelized runs.

rbwinston

Jun 13, 2024, 6:58:41 AMJun 13
to modflow
ModelMuse and Flopy are alternative methods for accomplishing the same goal of preparing the model input and displaying the model output.

See my free book
Getting Started with MODFLOW.

Sam Kelsey

Jun 13, 2024, 10:53:23 AMJun 13
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi Saul,

I will be using the computer for running Visual MODFLOW and ModelMuse.

Hi Jakab,

Thanks for the link and explanation.

Regards,

Philip Margarit

Jun 13, 2024, 11:01:23 PMJun 13
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Also, make sure if you are going to be doing a lot of model calibration to have a second SSD. Running PEST on the SSD that houses your OS could potentially cause problems down the line. It is a cheap upgrade but it could potentially save you some headache later on.

--
Philip Margarit

Water Resources Science PhD Candidate
College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Science
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Saul Montoya

Jun 13, 2024, 11:02:07 PMJun 13
to mod...@googlegroups.com

Hi Sam

This is what I had for the last 3 years.

image.png

The computer is on a Intel NUC frame so it is extremely small. If I want something more heavy for long term processing and some pest calculation I would use another computer.

I have also 2 24" monitors. Wider or bigger monitors will bring me a headache.

Regards

Saul

Saul Montoya M.Sc.
Director

Dir: Caminos del Inca 288 dpto 302, Surco, Lima 33  |  Tel.: (511) 4491922  | Cel: Nuevo! (51) 984 115 861  |  Web: gidahatari.com

Saul Montoya

Jun 14, 2024, 10:35:02 AMJun 14
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I use two computers for groundwater modeling and there is a reason for that. When I create a model, I use the described pc that is a nuc, so there is more office space but when I ran PEST or do intensive simulation I use a i7 on a normal case with a better power source and better ventilation. In that way I still have all the capabilities of the first computer to do other stuff.

Viva el software libre.

Saul Montoya M.Sc.
Director

Dir: Caminos del Inca 288 dpto 302, Surco, Lima 33  |  Tel.: (511) 4491922  | Cel: Nuevo! (51) 984 115 861  |  Web: gidahatari.com

Sam Kelsey

Jun 20, 2024, 12:21:20 AM (14 days ago) Jun 20
to MODFLOW Users Group
Thanks everyone for your responses to this query.

Much appreciated,

Sam Kelsey