GMS and Modflow!

Samar Mohamed

Jun 9, 2024, 9:33:14 AMJun 9
to MODFLOW Users Group
Dear all,

I am asking if Modflow can open GMS files.

I know there is a translator in GMS to open Modflow files through .nam file extension.

Does that happen in Modflow and how, please?

rbwinston

Jun 9, 2024, 1:16:57 PMJun 9
to modflow
If you have GMS export the input files in the native format, it should be close to the format that MODFLOW can use. However, the name file might have file names that contain spaces and some file names might be in quotation marks. Neither of those works with the USGS version of MODFLOW.

See my free book
Getting Started with MODFLOW.
--
This group was created in 2004 by Mr. C. P. Kumar, Former Scientist 'G', National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee. Please visit his webpage at https://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
---

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 9, 2024, 10:32:41 PMJun 9
to mod...@googlegroups.com
I'm afraid some info is missing here. What do you mean by "I am asking if Modflow can open GMS files"? MODFLOW is a core program for a series of graphical user interfaces (GUIs), so these GUIs should be able to open a MODFLOW model/project, but it doesn't make sense the other way round. Did you eventually mean Visual MODFLOW, or maybe another GUI?

Dominick

Jun 9, 2024, 10:32:51 PMJun 9
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samar,

MODFLOW cannot read GMS binary project files, so the input files need to be exported within the GMS software to native MODFLOW text format for MODFLOW to use.

Dominick

Philip Margarit

Jun 10, 2024, 5:32:20 AMJun 10
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samar,

Also make sure you check double precision in the MODFLOW global options in GMS. You need to have that also checked in addition to the save native text copy option to get GMS to output usable native text files.

--
This group was created in 2004 by Mr. C. P. Kumar, Former Scientist 'G', National Institute of Hydrology, Roorkee. Please visit his webpage at https://www.angelfire.com/nh/cpkumar/
---

Philip Margarit

Water Resources Science PhD Candidate
College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Science
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Samar Mohamed

Jun 10, 2024, 9:09:56 AMJun 10
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot, I already did but I still cannot find NAM or VFM files to be opened with MODFLOW. Is there another way to open those native text files.

Best,
Samar

Samar Mohamed

Jun 10, 2024, 9:10:06 AMJun 10
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi Dominick,

Thanks, but I cannot find in the exported files from MODFLOW the file of NAM or VMF extensions to be able to open the project on MODFLOW.
Or there is a way to call those text files inside the MODFLOW interface.
Sorry but I used to use GMS interface more than MODFLOW one.

Samar Mohamed

Jun 10, 2024, 9:10:16 AMJun 10
to MODFLOW Users Group
Hi Jakab,

Thanks for your reply!
I mean the Visual MODFLOW as interface accepts only NAM and VFM files to be import. I don't know how to open the native text files that exported from GMS änother interface" inside the MODFLOW because they don't have the same extension.
However, GMS can open the files from Visual MODFLOW and translate them to be usable?

Both interfaces GMS and MODFLOW have the same simulation modules; MODFLOW, MT3DMS and SEAWAT Codes, ....

Best,
Samar

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 10, 2024, 10:08:07 AMJun 10
to mod...@googlegroups.com
In Visual MODFLOW Classic the vmf file is the actual project file. You, however, need the NAM file which in this case is the IN file. I.e., the equivalent of the standard NAM file is the IN file is Visual MODFLOW (it is a simple modification of the file extension). Hope this helps.

Philip Margarit

Jun 10, 2024, 10:46:40 PMJun 10
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Samar,

I’d try to just change your .mfn file to a .nam file and see if  that does the trick.

Philip Margarit

Water Resources Science PhD Candidate
College of Food, Agriculture, and Natural Resources Science
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities

Samar Mohamed

Jun 11, 2024, 10:45:51 AMJun 11
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philip,

That's a good suggestion. I will give a trial.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Samar

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MODFLOW Users Group" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/modflow/CAO%3DMhd3vHZfF%3Dnqx8Ewo97cJb%2BQgkiR3zzb_LqRXB7rSQai28Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Ahmed Askar

Jun 11, 2024, 12:20:35 PMJun 11
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hey Samar,

What version that Modflow model is?? And what version of GMS you are using?

Jun 11, 2024, 10:09:10 PMJun 11
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ahmed,

I use GMS 10.4 and Visual MODFLOW Flex 2015.1

Best,
Samar

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 12, 2024, 6:03:20 AMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
So, things are getting clearer now. Unfortunately, many people confuse Visual MODFLOW (either Flex os Classic) with MODFLOW, although they are not the same thing.

In Visual MODFLOW Flex you may import any standard MODFLOW-2000/2005 model provided that its dataset is in standard format (i.e., the files listed in the .NAM file, which in turn is kind of a table of contents of the model input and output files). First you have to create a new project in Visual MODFLOW Flex, set your units and coordinate system, chose the numerical modeling workflow, then define your modeling objectives (engines, start time, etc.), navigate to the define numerical model and select Import model. This will allow you to select the .NAM file. If, however, GMS doesn't create a standard NAM file, you should ask the GMS developers - or people from this forum who know the GMS GUI - about how to export a standard MODFLOW Dataset from GMS.

Also, please note that Visual MODFLOW Flex 2015.1 is approx. a 10-year old GUI, and it may have bugs that were since fixed in the newer version.

Ahmed Askar

Jun 12, 2024, 6:48:51 AMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Jakab, thanks for jumping in at the right time, as I am not an expert with MF Flex, but I am sure GMS can generate the native MF input files via the method described by Philip (I tried this before). So, Samar hopefully things are clearer now!

--
Best Regards,
Ahmed Askar

Samar Mohamed

Jun 12, 2024, 10:45:15 AMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Yes, more than clear

Thanks a lot or clarification, Jakab!

I actually followed the same steps as you mentioned and tried Philip tip to import a nam file and it finally worked like Ahmed's case.

One more thing plz if I have an option to select a MODFLOW version to use, which one you'd suggest. What do you think about MODFLOW NWT by UGSG?

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 12, 2024, 11:25:56 PMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Did you find the NAM file generated by GMS, and did you manage to import it in Visual MODFLOW Flex? If not, what message have you received?

MODFLOW-NWT could be extremely useful for models where the water table fluctuates and straddles multiple model layers. If you have dry cell issues with MODFLOW-2005 then why not revert to NWT? Keep in mind though that the solver settings are more complex.

Ahmed Askar

Jun 12, 2024, 11:26:05 PMJun 12
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I prefer Modflow 6, for the so much flexibility it has regarding input files’ structures, different models’ connection, amazing python support and strong solver. It basically compiles all previous MF versions under the same code.

photo

Ahmad Askar
Senior Hydrogeologist
INTERA Incorporated

icon working remotely from Westminster/CO

icon 720-366-0340

icon www.INTERA.com

linkedin

photo

Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2024 2:45:15 PM

Samar Mohamed

Jun 14, 2024, 7:36:20 AMJun 14
to mod...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jakab,
No, I couldn't find nam file. However, I could import the file successfully following Philip tip to change it into .nam and and open, it worked. Furthermore, I found an error during the translation process. I am trying to figure it out!!

The message I got for the error of translation is
In cell:1 zones must be >0

Thanks a lot for your thoughts about MODFLOW NWT

Best,
Samar

Jakab Andras - Gmail

Jun 14, 2024, 10:34:38 AMJun 14
to mod...@googlegroups.com
This sounds to me that GMS has also modified the extension of the name file.

As far as the translation error is concerned, what you can always do, is to refer to the manuals of the different MODFLOW versions, which also describe the expected structure of their package files that are included in the name file. Check if the package file that was translated is correct. In fact, when you import a model generated outside of a specific GUI, the GUI reads the packages from the name file and converts them into its internal proprietary format for visualization and editing purposes within the GUI. Then, it re-translates them again into MODFLOW file formats and runs the model.