[Cafe Poetry] new poetry, "Hear Me When I Sleep"

Mark

Nov 21, 2009, 9:41:04 PM11/21/09
to Mark

Wanting sleep to actual leave me rested and refreshed.

"Hear Me When I Sleep"

("If he works severely, he also works tenderly. His stockpiles of loyal love
are immense." Lamentations 3:23 [The Message])

Hear me when I sleep and cannot pray,
when my eyes turn inward, my ears defenseless to
the missiles of sound that pummel down pillow
I hoped to cradle my dreams.

I control nothing and puddles are oceans
I cannot cross. The tiny hailstones in the
corners of the roof make me shiver like
a blizzard; I'm coldly late arriving.

You are better than my fears no matter
what I hear; the water that will not stop running,
the ticking clock that batters my intentions,
the calendar that won't let me sleep,
the miles between best friends,
the words I should have said,
the stage is set for a soliloquy and
no one showed up for curtain call.

So I wander between the caves I inhabit
with all the life in me twisted like
refrigerator spaghetti;

Safe, familiar, but so sad to eat alone.

I would refrain from waking if sleep would give me rest.
I sleep, head and toe; and wake, curled like a frozen
mountain climber too early on Everest.

Cave or summit, face or gravel, my sad eyes are
always met by Your cavernous surprise of care.
Though I know not where,
I'm standing on the fearful side, taking a step toward the light.

Stepping,

mark p.

lamppoet@centurytel.net

.