Anyone still here? If so, question:

Dana Friedman

Aug 31, 2015, 1:05:01 PM8/31/15
to moderated.alt.comedy.standup
Hi Folks:

I'm new to this group, and I'm old. "Back in the day", before the web, I read many newsgroups, including the original alt.comedy.standup which appears to have been hijacked. Regardless, I'm four years into standup, and have a question that may get a discussion going (if anyone's following the group, but not posting).

When writing, have you ever wondered where your onstage persona ends, and where you begin? Many of us say things onstage that we wouldn't say off. Do you wonder whether even your onstage comedic persona would say...something, even if you know YOU would not? How do you determine that? How do you determine where the line is? Will you say something that makes YOU uncomfortable (because you figure your comedic persona might be able to "stretch" that far)? Do any of you ever ask yourselves this?